Transmission band spring on Low Speed Pedal

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Transmission band spring on Low Speed Pedal
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

I just went through the task of taking the hogshead off my 1925 coupe. I replaced the bands (removable ears), and used a new slow speed shaft and cams from Snyders. I put the hogshead back on (I hope I never have to do this again). I had the bands mounted and clipped together with the special tool and it's attached wrench. The clip is still on. I went to put a new spring on the Low Speed shaft, and there is no room to put it on! The slow speed screw is the hollow type that slips over the shaft. I guess I should have put the spring on the Low Speed pedal first. Is there room to slip the spring on if I lower the ear. (Tie a wire on it first). My detachable ears are on the driver's side. They probably should have been installed on the other side. Thanks for any help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 06:29 pm:

If I remember rightly, the shaft is meant to be cut back to about an 1" long if using the removable ear bands, the cut off bit is then siliconed into the adjuster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 06:34 pm:

Found it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

There was another, similar thread on this subject recently:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/424758.html?1392661455

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Robert, if you remove the adjusting screw can you push the spring into the screw hole and onto the shaft? If not, you will have to cut the shaft to get it on. Also, I have had problems with the rivet holes in the new low pedal shafts not being drilled in the correct locations. This makes it impossible to adjust the low band correctly. Both times I had this problem it was with a removable ear type shaft, so it may not be a problem for you. Just though I would mention it.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 07:19 pm:

Ran into the same hole drilled in the wrong place on the over sized low shaft. So far has been ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 08:40 pm:

If you are smart, you will throw that junk tool out and just use zip strips to hold the bands. Works much better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:53 pm:

Think you will find that the free length of the NEW spring is just a little too long to work with...(don't ask me how I know). FWIW...85% of these repro items don't work as plug-n-play out of the package. It's often not newbie-itis on some of the frustrations...

Take those new springs, put them in a vice, and collapse the coil once...take them out of the vice, let them expand...you may just find they fit fine...if you have the correct slow speed shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Curry on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:20 am:

Thanks to all that replied to my questions. This is a great Forum. I restored it, beginning in 1974. It took me 8 years. I restored all of the body wood. Getting it ready to carry a bride to her wedding.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration