OT - A Canadian Model K

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - A Canadian Model K
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:11 am:

One of the rewards of finding old car information is learning about the people who owned the cars. This Model K story takes place in New Brunswick, Canada. While looking at registrations in a 1909 publication, I noticed a Model K bought by the Honorable William Pugsley. This article describes Mr. Pugsley's career as of November 1907.

His Honor's first automobile according to registrations was a 1905 Canadian made 16 hp Russell five passenger touring car, registered May 25th, 1906:

This advertisement describes the 16 hp Russell. The touring car listed for $1600:

On March 26th, 1907, W. G. Pugsley registered a Ford runabout, engine number 402:

Apparently his honor liked the Ford, and added a 40 hp Ford seven passenger (Model K), registered May 27, 1907.

The registration information is confirmed by this Ford of Canada Ledger, showing the same engine number, 494, sold to J. A. Pugsley, May 18, 1907. J. A. Pugsley is a son or other relative, and also registered another Ford and Rambler between the years 1906-1908. J. A. Pugsley later begins a garage and automobile concern in Canada. The Pugsley car is the last line at the bottom:

We learn many interesting things by "cross referencing" the sales ledger and New Brunswick registration. The registration tells us this Model K had a "dark blue body with black moulding." It also reads "capacity seven persons" (jump seats).

On the ledger we see the car sold nine days before it was registered on May 18, registered May 27, 1907. The ledger says this touring has 36 inch wheels with Fisk tires. This is the only touring car in the Canadian ledger with 36 inch tires. The rest are the standard 34 inch (K Roadsters came with 36 inch tires). Was this because this K was a seven passenger car (and therefore equipped with the larger tire/wheel)? This K, along with most of the tourings on the ledger was equipped with a top too.

More about the "Hon. William Pugsley" (Wikipedia):

And his "dark blue" 1907 Model K would have looked something like this:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

For anyone interested in Canadian early Ford numbers. A little more dissection of the registration numbers, 1905-1909. Interestingly, not many Fords were registered in 1909 until mid year. I wonder if, like 1906, demand far outpaced production?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

I wonder if any K shipped to Canada survived?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Rob,

I checked the 25 existing Model K numbers (I have, there are probably more) with no matches. However, I am aware of one Model K that was purchased in Detroit and driven to Calgary, so some Fords evidently emigrated to Canada directly from Detroit.

Also, the Canadian ledger may not be complete. Another Model K that is listed as a 1907 (with the correct 120 inch wheelbase) in the N.B. registrations does not appear on the Canadian ledger:

This Model K is a bit of a mystery too because it has the proper wheelbase of 120 inches, but if the "Factory No. 19" is correct, it should be an early 1906 114 inch wheelbase car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:33 pm:

I live in NB and have a copy of Cid Rioux's book listing early registrations in New Brunswick. Mr Pugsley was a prominent figure and owned several cars in the early 1900's. I am currently in Florida escaping the cold/snow but when I return to New Brunswick in May, I will do a ltlle more research to see what info on the Model K that he owned is included

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:32 am:

Dave,
Thanks, that would be great. Often times a local newspaper or magazine took photos and many times a new car was included in the photo, so maybe a photo exists. Also, I think J. A. Pugsley is a son, but don't know for sure. He bought several cars at the time, and is listed as the buyer of this Model K, although William registered the car.

If you would like the link to this publication (with N.B. registrations, 1905-1909) send a pm and I'll send the link.
Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration