Great Old Photos with Model "T" Fords in New Zealand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Great Old Photos with Model "T" Fords in New Zealand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 07:07 am:

Early American Cars in New Zealand: The sign on Mudford & Sons Motor Garage, tells us a bit about the enterprise and reads as follows: “Overhauling & Vulcanizing
A Specialty”. The garage was located in Stratford, New Zealand, a fairly small town on the western side of North Island. See a larger photo and all the details about
both photos @ http://theoldmotor.com/? Photos courtesy of the National Library of New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:39 am:

Great photos thanks for posting. Any idea on the make or model of the motorcycle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:46 am:

On the first picture there is "something" behind the hand crank. Looks like some kind of snubber between the axle and the chassis. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:46 am:

On the first picture there is "something" behind the hand crank. Looks like some kind of snubber between the axle and the chassis. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:22 pm:

David,
Great pics of brass Ts. the clarity is really good in some of these photos, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:38 pm:

Thanks for posting these, David! I really like that truck. For those of us who don't know (me), what exactly are "Cash Stores"? Are they what we in the States would call a grocery store?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:50 pm:

A cash store is where you go to buy money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

I guess things are different as we go from country to country.I'll bet some people think that you go to Walmart to buy Walls
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth Martin Carpenter on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:25 pm:

Dennis, The motorcycle looks like a Triumph Model H to me. They were very popular in the teen years of the last century and the British Army used lots of them during the 14 - 18 war. They are still around in good numbers in the UK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:31 am:

Great & interesting photos. Thanks for posting. Do you have any more from over the ditch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:58 am:

How about you opinion of these two photos:

Do you think the car coming out of the garage is a wide track?

It the truck LHD or RHD?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:25 am:

The car could be a wide track, and the truck is surely a right hand drive. Look at the seat. It only has a seat for one person, the driver. The way it's made it looks like there's access to the cargo area from the front where the rest of the seat would have been on the left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

Great photos, thank you for posting them. I’m 99.9% sure the car coming out of the garage is NOT a wide track. Below is a photo showing a wide track on top, standard 56 inch track in the middle and the axle of the car coming out of the garage. Note that the distance between the U-bolts holding the front engine mount to the frame and springs is the same width on all the cars. I drew some yellow lines on the NZ car at the engine mount and then pasted them next to the spring perch to outer axle area. Compare that to the top photo that is the wide track and you can see clearly the NZ car is a standard track.

Note all the items don’t lined up – it would take a lot of effort (at least for me) to do that. But the distance between the U-bolts is what I use to judge if it is a standard or wide.

Additionally the wide track was targeted towards the USA south eastern states that grew cotton. The wagons were 60 inch track and it was much easier for a 60 inch track car to drive in the 60 inch wagon ruts than a 56 inch track car to drive in the 60 inch wagon ruts. See:

Again, thank you for posting the photos and the links.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration