On the classifieds - note from Chris B

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: On the classifieds - note from Chris B
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Someone got on the classifieds and has a non-related loooong ad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

Saw that late last night. I think spam posters should be sentenced to a year of chain-gang hard labor.
All those phony "kudos" posts are bad enough. I mostly try to ignore them because I understand the difficulties Chris faces in continuing with our archaic forum program that we love. Unfortunately, a dozen or so ads like this one would bury legitimate advertising and ruin our classifieds for everyone that wants them.
I fear the time is short for our beloved easy and straight forward forum format. For about a year now, I have been following AACA MTFCI and a couple other hobby related forums a little bit in order to prepare myself for a change here. I like THIS site a lot more than how any of those sites work or look.
Thank you Chris for all you do! I know it cannot be easy. Could a select group of maybe a half dozen assistant moderators that could eliminate unwanted postings help?
And thank you Herb for bringing this up. That ad does not belong there at all!
Again, thank you Chris!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

I don't know what has changed, but we used to have no problems with spam on the classifieds. Something has happened somewhere. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:31 pm:

What changed? You've been found. And a couple of profitable "hits" probably didn't hurt either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

I think that one of the things that changed is that sadly Bruce moved on. Bruce had acted as a gatekeeper to the classifieds for years. Maybe we can (with Chris' consent and help) set up a new gate keeping system?
Another thing that has happened is that this big game "computer people" play of "everyone is fair game and I can screw you better than you can stop me" has made these people (I use the word loosely) more determined and more sophisticated (another word I use here loosely). Add to that, the program has not been supported for several years and is archaic in an internet sense.
I like this site. I like the way it is laid out. I like how I can use it. I do not like glitzy bright layouts with boxes and links scattered all over the screen. I like this.
However, the reality is, this site is probably doomed by the "computer people"s game playing and society not making a decision about the nature of right and wrong.
Again, thank you Chris! I am sure that we are not easy.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

My opinion:

The main reason this is happening is because the password is available on the classified posting page.

In the past, in order to get the password you had to look it up in a copy of Vintage Ford Magazine. If you didn't have access to the magazine, you contacted Bruce.

Under the old system, I don't think Bruce really had to do much gatekeeping because bogus posters who lacked access to the password probably never bothered to contact him.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:07 pm:

Maybe if each one of us sent them an email offering model T parts for sale,they might reconsider spamming ours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

Its interesting that once you place an ad even placing exclusionary words or letters in your email address, I get marriage proposals, billion dollars offered, and the latest scam is to contact someone immediately or my credit line will be revoked.

I have been advised by my bank that if you respond to these unsolicited emails the sender can obtain information from your computer files, so I would suggest not to respond. I never open an unsolicited email, I just hit the delete key.

I'm still waiting for the right marriage proposal, one with a verifiable unrevokable multi millions of dollars credit line, in other words send me the real money 1st and then we can discuss the dowery.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:11 am:

Hi there, my question is this, why is the web site manager not checking each day and just remove them, do we really need penis pill ads or a even see these long lists of crap that are being put up... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:55 am:

Well now there's ANOTHER super long ad, hawking something about carpet cleaning in a car or something, I won't read them, just skimmed it a bit to identify it here. Once this gets going, we're going to be bombarded by these things I'm afraid. Gotta be a way to prevent them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:59 am:

Ray,I think Chris could use a helping hand on keeping a eye on things.I am as websavy as a sloth on sleeping pills so I cant volunteer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:31 am:

I think Erik Johnson is right. Seems like a simple solution. JMHO. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:16 am:

Even when the password was not posted, the scammers came on here and posted " what is the password for posting ads?" and lo and behold, some forum members responded trying to be helpful, and gave them the password. Loose lips sink ships.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:20 am:

While the secret password might help in the ads placed, that will not prevent spammers from mining and sending bogus reply's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:30 am:

"Loose Lips Sink Ships" !!!!!!! That's a slogan from World War Two. Not a lot of people can remember those slogans today. How about "Rosie The Riviter" and "Buy War Bonds", and my favorite, "We Can Do It" Another time another era.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:39 pm:

Ray, It"s a volunteer position, pays zero and demands a huge amount of time. We're lucky we have someone willing. When we decide to spend $3000- $4000 a week we can get 24 hour/ 7 day a week monitoring. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:24 pm:

If we just increase our membership fees to $1000/year we could afford to hire a full time manager for the web site and pay him what it is worth. Thanks for all your help Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:11 pm:

I have changed the classifieds back to the way it was before - you have to look up the password in the Vintage Ford.

Just for the record the password has been on the new-ad page since I took over from Bruce.

DO NOT POST THE PASSWORD ON THE FORUM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Thank you Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Why do we just have one person to remove unwanted posts? Surely this club has more than one trustworthy member. How about several people empowered to do the removal, would be much more timely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:20 pm:

Thanks for a good job Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

Thanks, Chris. We appreciate all of your efforts for the club.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

Chris, Keep up the good work. Thanks for all you do for the Club.

Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 02:58 pm:

I remember "Bombs over Tokeo." We had a little dog named TOKI and to a 4 year old kid it was kinda confusing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:00 pm:

Thank you Chris B!
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:05 pm:

If anybody gets an suspicious email in broken English from somebody saying that their dog ate their latest issue of Vintage Ford and asking for the latest classifieds password, don't email it to them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:40 pm:

Bombs over Tokyo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

I am with Layden, Some of us die hard's here are retired with free time and on this site daily. Why not let another trusted member here also police the classifieds?????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 07:28 pm:

It would seem that if we had a core of say 20 to 30 regular posting members who had access to the ability to delete ads then no one person would be overwhelmed with the duty and if every one in that group checked the classifieds say on an every other day basis there would be enough coverage to keep the offensive material out. JMHO FWIW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:48 am:

Hey Chris - I am on the web administering my own site nightly. (well actuallly one that I run with three other investors)

I'd be happy to volunteer to help keep the classifieds cleaned up here.

I don't post as often as I used to in the forum, but I'm checking in nightly, often times several times so deleting the pesky ads would be no prob at all.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to do it.

Let me know, sir.

Danial

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:52 am:

Chris,

It is a thankless job, Thanks for doing it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

I'm for going back to an unposted (on internet) password; posted only in The Vintage Ford. Any non member could ask a member and get the password. If the member receiving the request for the password, didn't feel comfortable in giving out the password, he wouldn't have to, but chances are he would recognize and know the person asking for the information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 01:14 pm:

See the post above from Chris at 1:11 PM yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:39 pm:

I wasn't going to say anything, but I NEVER got crazy emails on my account until I posted my 25 Sedan. Since then, it has made me quite mad because as far as I know, I can't erase the ad. What does a guy do, ask admin to remove the ad?
It's been a couple months since I posted, but I still get the emails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Rion, I don't know how much good it does, but some people post a second ad stating that the car/parts/what have you, is sold and no longer for sale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 08:53 am:

Terry, I think I screwed up by not putting an extra letter in my email address and telling respondents to omit the character when emailing. Internet trolls just search for valid email addresses then copy and paste them into their spam database.

It sold locally very quickly, but my email address got out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 10:54 pm:

The few times I've used the classifieds. I posted my phone number, city, and state only, and said if they wanted to email me, go to my profile in the forum. Never noticed any extra spam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieT on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:55 pm:

I may be blind, but I've looked at my January/February 2014 Vintage Ford Magazine and I can't see what Chris is referring to as "the new-ad page". Can someone please clarify which page is "the new-ad" page that contains the classified password that Chris is referring to, and in particular, how about referencing the page number in the January/February 2014 issue?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:31 am:

Password can be found in the Vintage Ford in the Back Issue Review, it is the name of the author without the space.

Back Issue Review has been in every recent Vintage Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:14 am:

Don't feel bad, Charlie, I had the same issue so I PM'd Chris a few days ago and he PM'd back the same info he just posted to you above.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration