Stewart & Clark Mfg Clock "Chelsea" - works - what do I have?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Stewart & Clark Mfg Clock "Chelsea" - works - what do I have?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:13 am:

This was in a box of parts I bought along with a Model T I'm restoring. It works. What can anyone tell me about it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Lyndell,

Pic please.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:18 am:

sorry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:18 am:

and the back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

You have a car dash clock built by Chelsea Clock and marketed by Stewart-Clark…aka Stewart…aka Stewart Warner.

Chances are, if you dig deep enough, you will find that the bezel arrangement matches one of the early Stewart models of Speedometer.

Capitalism up to and just after the turn of the century was not defined as open competition/free enterprise, but rather actual control of competition in a most dominant way. Stewart-Clark was not the only upstart Speedometer manufacturer, but had the lead, reputation, and market share early. Stewart decided that an automobile having a speedometer, should also have a clock.

Stewart didn’t want to design and manufacture a clock themselves so like most jewelers of the time, they contracted to known clock makers to make a design to their size and standard. They tried to get the car manufacturers to sell the clocks standard along with their Speedo’s, but that didn’t work for the most part so they then sold the idea of a clock direct to the aftermarket.

I’m not that bright on these things, but think and only think you have an earlier one there as it has a key wind. Check with the speedometer guys…they may know more about the story.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:18 pm:

George I think covered it fairly well. I agree that it looks to be fairly early, probably well before 1920. However, before about 1913, most clocks, as with most speedometers, mounted onto the surface of the firewall, not cut or inset into the firewall or dash. That one looks to be made to inset into a dash panel. So it is probably between about 1913 and 1919. The large round nickel plated rim also tends to put it in that era.
Accessories like that usually went on high-end cars like Cadillac (or any of several dozen others). Also, clocks originally included as standard equipment in a car often (not always) would have the car's name on it. So again, probably an after-market clock.
Question. Does the rim and glass unscrew off to access the key-wind? I know some did.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

http://www.chelseaclock.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:09 am:

Wayne,

I think it is a surface mount. It seems to be missing the back mounting plate. I saw one on a 1910-12 long time ago that stuck out from the firewall --looked just like this one. Just my 2 cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

Thanks for the good info! The rim and glass do unscrew to wind. I believe it was originally intended to be recessed but don't know for sure. Any additional comments are welcomed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:41 pm:

Are you related to Layden Butler? I thought he might respond to this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:08 am:

Stewart and Clark offered speedometer and clock combinations from 1908-1914. While these clocks could have been sold individually, the literature clearly shows that most were sold with speedometers. Some combinations placed the clock and speedometer side by side, while other combinations placed the clock above the speedometer. Most combinations also included a light so the speedometer and clock could be seen at night. The size of the clocks varied from a 4" dial face to a 2" dial face. It is doubtful that a Model T was ever equipped with a clock/speedometer combination since the price of these units ranged from $75-$125 (just a bit expensive for a Ford)!

I have the same clock you have and it is mounted next to a 1910 Stewart and Clark Model 11 speedometer. It is a beautiful brass combination unit and weights seven pounds.
Hope this helps,
Russ Furstnow

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration