A dumb question about engines

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: A dumb question about engines
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:55 pm:

So this is probably basic engine 101 knowledge, but I'm kinda slow on some things so here goes my question. If a model T engine hasn't been rebuilt and still has the original valves, pistons, etc., will it run on modern fuel or does it need to be rebuilt in order to use today's gasoline?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

Leave the engine as it is. T's were designed to run on fuel far inferior to anything available now. Your model T will be perfectly happy on regular gas. Opinions will vary, as you will certainly learn on this forum.
Fordially, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:01 pm:

Nope. Today's fuel is better than what it got in the old days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:03 pm:

I imagine you're concerned about the fact that gasoline today is "unleaded". No worries. When the T's were originally on the road lead had not yet been added to gasoline. It's what they ran on in the first place. Furthermore, as Erik says, the gas today is far better than what was available 80 or 90 years ago.

If it runs OK, then run it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:04 pm:

Fresh from the factory or nearly worn out, a Model T motor will be very happy with modern gas including that with low levels of alcohol. Nothing special is required. While I haven't tried it, the E-85 stuff would probably work OK too. I routinely run the 87 octane E-10 from whatever gas station happens to be handy when I need fuel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:09 pm:

A couple of years ago there was an ad in Hemmings for a T for sale. The ad said the car was "remachined to run on unleaded fuel". Somebody didn't know there was no leaded gas in the teens and early twenties. The car was designed to run on unleaded fuel because that's all there was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:17 pm:

Bill, Steve just echoed what Erik said about today's fuel, however, there are things to be considered. Make sure the valve heads and seats are in good condition; if not, grind them to seat. Last year, I pulled the head on an untouched 26 engine and the valve heads were so burnt; they had cracks in them. Any leakage and an engine will run like crap; if it will run at all. Also take into consideration that most, if not all, original factory T valves were two piece with the head pressed onto the stem. They have been known to separate and that is a No-No. To identify a non-original valve; look and see if the head looks like it was made in one piece with the stem. The difference with an original two piece is easily apparent. Also, I think all original valves had two small hole in the top of the head for the hand valve grinder to catch on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

The website in the link below has a strong anti-lead bias, but it does contain an interesting timeline on lead and specifically, tetraethyl lead. According to the website, tetraethyl lead's anti-knock properties were discovered in December, 1921 by Thomas Midgley at GM labs.

You may have to copy the text below and paste it into your browser line for the link to work.

http://66.147.244.135/~enviror4/about/ethyl-leaded-gasoline/lead-history-timelin e/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:05 pm:

By the way, my observation about the website's bias in no way implies that I am cavalier about the adverse public health impacts of lead.

The website (to my eyes) tries to paint a picture of conspiracy from the earliest days of tetraethyl lead usage, which in my opinion is too extreme a position.

Did the people involved in the introduction of tetraethyl lead set out with an intent to create a public health crisis? Of course not. They set out to solve an engineering problem (how to increase engine efficiency via increase compression ratio) and to make money, and they probably felt that any health risks could be managed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:28 pm:

Bill I don't believe in dumb questions! In a former life I used to play with bombs, missiles, rockets, bullets and things that go BOOM in the night. I would admonish new sailors that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask, because that is the one item that you're sure you know but you got it wrong and that hurts where bombs are concerned, so ask get a little red in the face if you feel like it but that is far preferable than missing fingers toes or damaging equipment. this may apply here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:37 pm:

By the way, the public health discussion about the implications of widespread manufacture, usage, and disposal of lithium ion batteries (for electric cars and other applications) is already starting:

http://www.abtassociates.com/newsreleases/2013/study-identifies-benefits-and-pot ential-environmen.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

Lol G.R. I grew up around the Marines Corps. If the ordinance guys are running you should be too!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:38 am:

If it works, don't fix it. If you have a problem and need to pull the engine and transmission, fix everything which needs fixing at one time, so you won't need to pull it again. Same goes for the magneto, if it works, good. If everything else works but the magneto, use a distributor or run coils on 12 volt battery until such time as you need to pull the engine to fix something else, then fix the magneto at the same time.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 02:56 pm:

I understand that some of these early engines ran on kerosene.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

If you go to an antique farm show you'll see tractors from the thirties with a big tank and a little tank. Kerosene was cheaper then, but not combustible enough for starting. So you would start your tractor with gasoline from the little tank, then switch over to kerosene, the cheaper fuel, to run it. The last time I checked the price of kerosene, it was more than twice the price of gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

By the way Bill the same goes for what kind of oil to use in your T. Todays oil is way better than what originally available when they were new.

You will see all kinds of ideas about what oil to use so get ready fir that one!

I use auto-zone 30W HD in my cars and it works fine.
And again that's my opinion but what do I know.

Have fun!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration