Rear spring pad?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Rear spring pad?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

Anybody have the measurements? I have them for the front pad, but not the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

I think you can find them on the Fun Projects web site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

Steve, the rear pad is 10-5/16" long X 2" wide X3/8" thick the 3/8" thickness is based on 2x2" pads at the ends , the rest is 3/32", the end pads were rivited but you could probably glue them on, they have a 9/16" square hole for the bolt in the center of the pad.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:16 pm:

Specs for the pad used before '17 with the tapered leaf spring are slightly different. The main body of the pad assembly is a strip of leather 10-1/4" long x 2" wide x 1/16" thick. Leather pads 2" square by 3/16" thick are riveted on the ends, flush with the ends and sides of the 10-1/4" long strip, but as Rick said they could be glued in place. The 9/16" square hole in the center is the same for all years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:23 pm:

Russ Furstnow supplies them to the dealers. Be sure to use leather. In later years, Ford used top material! I wonder how long that lasted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:33 pm:

I took a rear spring out one time to see why the car was leaning. I found one square of leather with a remnant of top material. The other leather pad was missing. It had been that way for many years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

I don't have a picture of an original rear pad. The original front pads are made the same way as RV describes, just longer and wider as per his description.

Original front pad from my '15:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Meant to say "the rear pads are just longer and wider".........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:02 am:

I have a few NOS rear leather pads. They are a bit dried out after all these years. I don't think I'd want to use them. They are exactly like the ones Russ makes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 01:48 pm:

I'm not a pro at drawing, but here's what I did using RV's measurements. The first is sized to fit my screen. The second is maximum file size to post here, in case anybody wants to copy it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 06:06 pm:

Nice, Steve. And 3D to boot!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration