OT - Barn faw down, go snap, crackle, pop...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Barn faw down, go snap, crackle, pop...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 03:20 pm:

This old barn has been sagging for a few years. Our big snow storm earlier this week finally broke her back. It's still settling. We emptied the contents quite a while ago. Now I get to salvage the good lumber (there's still quite a bit of decent wood in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:15 pm:

Thats a shame. All of the old barns are dissappearing across america. A couple of storms have torn some tin off of my roof this year that I've got to get fixed and the old farmer who used to live here didn't fix a sagging north wall....I've got my work cut out to save my barn. My plan is to turn the loft into a wood shop. I bought an old crown fork lift that I've cut the front off of to use as an elevator. I'm using a converter to run the hydraulic pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

Yep, I hate to see this one go but the Folks weren't about to put a new roof on it after retiring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:33 pm:

I feel for you Warren, after filling my barn to the top of the loft, all the floor joists cracked in the middle, I was lucky and shored them up with some rough cut 8x8s and saved things. Have a good job to do as soon as the rest of the hay is red out driving new joists in besides the old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 04:51 pm:

Sad. Several decades ago relatives bought property in Idaho. Included were two unused dairy barns about twice the size of the one shown in your picture. Roofs had been neglected and the first really bad winter occurred right after they purchased the property. Both barns went down. Rainfall damaged the trusses. Leaky roofs can cause no end of problems with any structure. I passed up a Chev 490 that was smashed because the barn roof was neglected and collapsed trusses obliterated the 490. Doubly sad in that case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

Warren, hopefully you can save the other barn. The dairy farm that I grew up on in Iowa is now long gone along with all the other out buildings. The only thing I have left is some pictures.

At least the land is still in the family and we're trying to save the pheasants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:56 pm:

Some, if not all the lumber will save the other barn. The barn on the right was built in 1963. Half of the red oak to the left came down a while ago & ripped the power lines out along with a section of siding. Patch, patch, patch. ;-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration