Tire mounting

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tire mounting
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:18 pm:

I have two new tires to mount, does it matter if they go on from the back or front side of the rim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Mark, I suggest this forum is a WEALTH of info for folks like me earning to work on these great cars. Try googling these words (Model T, MTFCA, tire mounting) and you should see diagrams, tools and hints (from what I have learned they go on from the front but I am going to google my suggestion and see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

I came up with 20 separate forum posts on all kinds of ideas on how to mount the tires John give it a try This was a great suggestion from another forum member

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 06:04 pm:

Scroll down a bit in the thread below and let Royce show you the easy way:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/256320.html?1325091009

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

You'll probably find this in some of those previous discussions, but I'll state the obvious here too. Warm tires are easier to mount than cold ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:10 am:

On my demountables, I mount mine from the back of the rim so that I don't risk scratching the more visible side. It helps that the new tires are much easier to mount than the old ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:31 am:

With new tires you will find they initially need to be stretched, they are soft but undersized after mounting they become easier to put on after a few times you may be able to mount them by bare hands only.

As already suggested, put them on from the back side, warm them if possible and it will be easier if you first practice either on an old rim or if not your rim without the tube.

That way you will get the hang of what helps and what doesn't and if you leave the tire on overnight and then remove it, it will be far easier the next time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:34 am:

Put the tube in the tire and inflate it to 10# or so and let it sit in a warm garage for a day or so before beginning the installation. It stretches the tire and makes in pliable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:31 pm:

Jon what a great suggestion to stretch a tire !

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration