Tie Rod Ball on 1914 Touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Tie Rod Ball on 1914 Touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

The Tie Rod Ball on my 1914 Touring (RHD) is worn out, out of round.
It looks like being part off casting or brazed to the spindle arm connecting rod.
How can this be fixed ? Can it be changed with the straight ball of later model ? Will the Apco ball cap for the drag link be OK for reducing the play without being too tight and without changing the ball ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 06:09 pm:

In the old days you could buy a shim like this. There were shims for every size ball on any Model T or Model A.

Today you can just make a shim from an old coin. You can make the coin to the proper shape using a hammer and a socket of the size close to the diameter of the coin. You can see a penny made into a shim in the lower right corner, next to a washer made into a shim.

Install the coin in the tie rod link cap. Be sure to use grease on the ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 06:12 pm:

We make those shims,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

You can also buy a 1" ball bearing ball (I think that's the size), have someone with a good milling machine turn your tie rod ball down to the diameter of the forging where it goes into the wishbone. He then needs to bore the ball bearing that size, and braze it onto the the stud.
New ball, no more shims, or other "temporary" repairs.
If you're careful (or the machinist is) you won't even loose the Ford script (if there's one there)
You do need to locate the ball the correct distance from the arm ends where they go into the perches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:04 pm:

Same thing that is done with current rebuilt Model A spindle arms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:20 pm:

Here's the temporary fix Royce mentioned.

I just put them in with plenty of grease and let the ball and cap squash them to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:35 am:

I would suggest you make certain you are using real copper pennies, not the cheap ones now being made (I don't think the alloy is as good for wear).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:56 am:

Get a new or good cap, build the ball up with weld and use the new cap with bearing blue to determine where to file or grind down till it is round again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philippe BROST, France on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:45 am:

I don't think a shim will make it because the ball is no more round. In one position of the drag link it will reduce the play but the drag link will not be able to move up and down or forward backward as it does when turning or when the suspension is moving.
I can't see how I can machine the ball since it is attached to the connecting rod. Is it possible to take off the tie rod ball or is it one part with the end of the tie rod ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:49 am:

Philippe

That ball is forged to the tie rod {i.e. spindle connection rod} end, and cannot be removed. Replacement should be found, but good ones are hard to find.

If you change to the later style, 1918-1925, that one has the removable ball end, there is a change in the geometry, which may hinder use.

Saved from earlier forum post

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:58 am:

You can build the ball up with welding. Then grind and file to a round shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:03 am:

I've been replacing the worn balls on wishbones, which would be a similar deal. The new ball would be smaller, of course. I bought some 1-1/4" dia steel balls on ebay, and I take a wishbone and a ball to a GOOD welder. He cuts the old ball off and welds the new one on. Presto! -- a like-new wishbone for about 10 bucks.

I can weld -- sort of. But when working on steering or suspension parts, I take them to a pro that I know can do a reliable, permanent job for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:51 am:

Phillipe, whatever method you decide to use, be sure to check the ball cap. Filing down the caps on all of the ball type joints on a T is very common and it does take out the play, for awhile. The down side is, each time the cap is filed down, the inside radius of the cap is reduced. That side of the ball is worn to a smaller diameter than the other side obviously. That is mainly what makes the ball egg shaped. The ball on the arm on my '25 coupe was worn that way. I built it up with bronze rod with a oxy-acetelene torch and ground, filed, and emory clothed it by hand to fit the socket. I replaced the cap with one that had nearly no wear on it. It didn't take long at all, and came out nice and round. JMHO. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration