Opinions Wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Opinions Wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:50 pm:

I have two sets of 26-27 factory front bumper brackets. As those of you familiar with them know; they have three mounting points; two at about mid point on the bracket and one hole in the very rear. One set that I have has been modified by a previous owner by sawing off the front mounting tab on the mid-point bracket on both sides. The other set has had (one side only) modified by removing about one or one and a half inches of the bracket at the point where the bumper clamp goes through the drilled hole and a new hole drilled for the bumper clamp.

Opinions wanted: if you were considering buying either set of these brackets; which set would you consider the better set; brackets with the mounting tab removed, or brackets with one shortened front end? Either way, both sets of brackets are restorable to the original condition, or use as is.

A local club member wants to buy one set from me, but is undecided on which set to take. Whichever set he does not buy goes to Chickasha with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 10:50 pm:

BUMP. Come on guys, someone must have an opinion. I thought I would share your opinions with this club member and maybe it would make it easier for him to decide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:01 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 12:33 am:

The pictures explain better what you were texting. I would take the ones not shortened at the front--they're spring steel, hard to add to them without a lot of work, but the brackets aren't (I don't think they are anyways)>
Just IMHO!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:10 pm:

Without a 26/27 sitting in front of me the only thing that comes to mind is one of two things, both could be original and the only difference I see is the mounting brackets would be a little closer to center.
I don't know about the temper of Model T arms but with Model A if there has been much work done on them they need to be re-tempered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:43 pm:

Mark, both sets are original and both have been modified, one way or the other.

The photo on the left, shows both sides laid out with the side leveled with a straight edge, and you can see how much was cut off of one. Why it was done; I haven't a clue. Maybe a former owner used a torch to remove a frozen bumper clamp bolt; damaged the end and just cut off the damage and drilled a new hole.

The photo on the right, shows both sides, face to face and the mounting bracket that is riveted to the main bar has the forward or front mounting ear or tab; cut (with a saw) off each one. Obviously, this was done by a previous owner for clearance purposes. Clearance for what; I don't know.

For a driver, the set of the right, even with the modified mounting bracket (less one ear), would probably be the best choice, as two mounting bolts are sufficient and if someone wants to repair the ear, they're not likely to affect the temper of the main bar. but as we all know, 26-27 owners who put these on their cars (me included) do so just because they are authentic factory accessories. We don't mount them expecting them to prevent a crash, because more likely than not; if you're in that bad an accident, a bumper isn't going to keep your T from being damaged.

The set on the left, would do for a driver, too, for the same reason as above. these bumpers are not going to protect your T in more than a 5 MPH crash, and as for one bar being shortened, the difference from the front, isn't noticeable without measuring the bars.

If the local club member doesn't buy a set, they'll both be at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

If you are restoring a show car, either set would need to be "properly" repaired. I don't see much difference in the work required. The tempering required to weld onto the front of the bracket could be a problem, or not. Many things like this at that time were not tempered that much.
I think either of these could be properly repaired fairly easily by almost any competent welder. That said, I would be tempted to to simply cut the longer front to match the one that has already been cut. Some minor re-bending to fit and match them up and they should look fine.
Just my silly thoughts.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:35 pm:

Thanks for your thoughts, Wayne. Even though they could be restored to show quality, I suspect that the person who buys them will be wanting them for a 'driver', particularly at the price I have in mind for them. If someone wants a perfect pair, they'll have to pay someone else a perfect price.

I, also, have three sets of bars. One set has original plating that is peeling in places, Second set is stripped to bare steel, and the third set has been painted or powder coated black. Some bars are straight. Some have a slight bow in the middle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Well, the local club member has made his decision. He is taking the set with the inch or inch and a half cut off of one side and the new drilled clamp hole (pictured above) on left. He is also taking the set of bumper bars that have most of the original nickel on them; thus I will be bringing the set of brackets pictured on the right (above) which have one mounting ear or tab missing. Use as is, or repair possible as the bracket is probably not spring steel. Also will have two pair of full length bars; one pair stripped to bare metal, and one set painted or powder coated, black.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration