ACCESSORY OF THE DAY - 02/22/2014 - DUNTLEY MAGNETO BREAK TIMER

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY - 02/22/2014 - DUNTLEY MAGNETO BREAK TIMER
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

(Message edited by admin on February 25, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 06:49 pm:

Now that is pretty darn cool...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Neat, it's like the Ford roller timer turned inside out!

I wonder how many people collected on the lifetime or 50,000 mile guarantee?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

One of the few "triggered" timers, as opposed to a "wiper" timer. By "triggered" I mean that the cam shaft has nothing to do with completing the circuit. The circuit is completed within the timer and triggered by the cam. I wonder how well one of these would function when it is full of oil that has leaked past the felt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

There are at least two different styles of Duntley timer.

I had a Duntley Magneto Break Timer like Jay's that I sold to a timer collector years ago. However, It had the Duntley on it.

I also have in my parts stash a Duntley "Four Unit Timer." The case is the same but the mechanism is different. It has a rubber and metal armature (not a cam) that rotates and rides against four spring loaded rollers inside the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 11:02 pm:

We were talking about the fact with all the oil on everything it was a wonder there was any metal to metal contact anywhere and that with the brass timer shield rubbing on the rotor there was at least good contact there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 02:14 am:

Whewwww!!!
This one brings back the saying . . .

“The difficult we do immediately,
the impossible takes a little longer”

Otto Kersten
Detroit, Michigan
Commutator
Patent number: 1340857
Filing date: Nov 25, 1918
Issue date: May 18, 1920
http://tinyurl.com/l7z9rtt

Here is a previous thread that covers some timer testing using this device.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/10176.html

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 04:36 am:

I've looked at these before - the previous thread was good.
There is a but. The bogey of intercylinder timing. That timer will have to be exactly centred on the camshaft or the timing will be irregular. It's not just a question of accurate assembly of the timer; the fit of the timer in the engine cover is critical too.
And what about the durability of those tiny wheels? A case for small ball bearings.
But it is a good concept. If the rotor were mounted to the timer cover and just driven by the camshaft it could be a great one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:03 pm:

I have one of these on my 14, after 2 years I checked it to clean it, was fine. another 3 years and still runs perfect with zero maintenance. I imagine in 50,000 miles some maintenance would be required but it works pretty sweet.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

I too have used Duntley timers on two cars with good results. I can't say mine ran well as long as Andy's, but they were very good timers. The wheels never wore out. The points eventually became pitted and worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:14 pm:

Oh, I wanted to add that the same timer also went by the name Fansteel or a similar spelling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:27 am:

Richard, I think it is Pfanstiehl. I have one of them, too. I think these were very good timers. Several years ago I was testing some carbs on a T engine in the shop and tried half a dozen or so different timers for the fun of it. It ran very well but of course that was just in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:51 am:

Richard, Stan and you are both right about the name, right around 17 or 18 the name was changed to the fansteel spelling because of anti German sentiment during the war. If not mistaken they are still in business making medical equipment. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:01 am:

Keith, Speaking of Anti-German sentiment during WWI Brings "Liberty Cabbage" to mind.

From wikipedia:
During World War I, due to concerns the American public would reject a product with a German name, American sauerkraut makers relabeled their product as "Liberty cabbage" for the duration of the war.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:30 am:

Jay,

And don't forget the Liberty Pups....

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 03:15 pm:

Jay, I had never heard that, amazing what can be learned on this forum! KGB

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration