Pricey?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Pricey?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:44 am:

http://nmi.craigslist.org/atq/4297424184.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:52 am:

I don''t know about the price, but I wonder how this thing tied in with the development of the Kingsford brand of charcoal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:54 am:

Considering one sold for over 400 a while back on ebay, this is a steal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:02 am:

I have one of these, and always thought that because the Ford script logo was in the oval that it was only Model A era. Was the oval used for Model T also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 11:09 am:

That's about the right price for the unit as is. If it were in mint condition I would say $750 is what it would bring from a die hard collector.

This is what the complete unit looks like taken from a pervious accessory of the day post I made a while ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:01 pm:

In the early 1920s, Ford had a large plant in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan; to be exact, Kingsford, Michigan, the town named after Henry Ford's Cousin. Henry Ford was always looking for new ways to combine resources. One day as the Model T cars were coming off the assembly line, Ford noticed many wood scraps being discarded. He proposed that all wood scraps were to be sent to his chemical building to be made into charcoal. The Kingsford High School sports teams are named the Kingsford Flivvers, with their mascot a Ford Model T.
I don't believe the stoves were produced in the Model T era. I do think they were produced in the V-8 era. The stoves came in two sizes. I have the larger size, which is essentially in the same shape as Jay's. with the same information included. The drawing of the car in the illustration is a late 30's Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

make that a mid thirties Ford

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:08 pm:

Still a very neat item, and I'm sure it would go great with the manifold cooker when you're out camping in your Model T. Does anybody have any patent drawings or anything like that? I've never seen one in person, but it looks about the right size for a couple steaks and possibly a couple potatoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

Jared, This is a picture of the larger size. I always wanted to find another that had been used, so I could use it. They are around. Two years ago a friend of mine bought a used one at an auction for 15.00, super deal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:57 pm:

Mine was the best price - FREE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:18 pm:

Free is what I would have liked to pay, but I don't think I did to bad at 100.00 for mine. I found mine at an antique show. I never spotted it, as it wasn't Ford blue. I was wearing my black Model T jacket, a vendor came up to me and asked if I was interested in buying anything Ford. He showed it to me and asked if I would give him 125.00 for it. He took my offer of 100.00. It pays to wear the Model T jacket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:10 pm:

Got a question, did Ford make the charcoal and grill during the T era only or did Ford supply them into the A era or longer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:54 pm:

I wonder what the numbers signify. Jay's is a No. 10, and Dan's is a No. 23. Length of the cooking grate maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

His pictures look like there's Vasleine on the lens. I'd sure like some better shots before I'd bid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:19 pm:

Jared, The numbers signify the size of the grill. Jays #10 is 7x11, mine is actually #20, and it is 9x18. Jay's cost 1.00 new, mine cost 2.00. Ford called their charcoal briquets a fuel of a hundred uses. Some of the uses Ford listed were: homes, hotels, restaurants, ships, yachts, wood-shops, foundries, meat smoking, truck heating, camping, and picnicking. I would love to be driving a truck and have that next to me for heat. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

Steve, Great picture of the 36. First car I can remember my father having. It was one just like it, except black and no white walls. Thanks for posting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Someone should reproduce these including the cardboard box. I bet most of us would buy one. I would if the price was somewhere within reason.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 10:37 pm:

If I had one to use as a pattern I would look into it. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to do. Hardest part would be the pressed lettering, but it could be done. If nothing else it would be worth having one I could use and not worry about ruining like I would worry about doing with an original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:24 am:

I have a 36 like that but I haven't been camping with it. I have camped with my model t many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 12:40 am:

That is why I would buy one. I have been camping in one of the T's several times in the past and have been looking for overnight camping in the Rockies. Actually I would buy two of them. One for display and one for camping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 03:31 am:

The way this Winter has been going and the current price of propane and home heating oil .....

This is a steal .... :-)

JIm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

What's the shelf on the bottom for? Doesn't the charcoal go on the corrugated piece above it? I'd like to see it in action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:16 pm:

Jared, the shelf is for catching ashes and to act as an insulator if you are using it on a table. The orange pamphlet that came with mine says introductory offer. Its form number 7663, dated January 1938 so thats probably when they were first sold. They were sold through Ford dealers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:38 pm:

That does make sense. It's still an awesome idea to reproduce them for use in the T camping community.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration