16 Coupelet Running Board - Level

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 16 Coupelet Running Board - Level
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

This weekend I decided to test fit some sheet metal on my 16 coupelet and was wondering if the running boards should be level to world or the body.

I have the FP frame pdf which shows me the measurements from the frame which helped with bending the brackets back to normal.

Now if I put a level on each bracket flat they are level but when I put the running board on with new wood (that I bought from Langs) the running board is not level. The outside edge needs to be brought up about 1/2".

When looking from the front of the car you definitely tell it's not level.

Any info would be helpful, thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 01:43 pm:

I would think the running boars should be parallel to the frame, when you are looking at them from a distance on the side. Being level to the world would depend if the car was on a level surface, and there is some cush built in the springs for a load on the car. Level to the world is not a factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way, Wa. on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Phillip
How do they match with the fenders? Could there be an angle to allow water runoff?
Just wondering.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 05:42 pm:

Only had the back fender on (passenger side). No splash apron or front fender involved. Car is in a garage so the floor is pretty level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Do you have the truss rods on? Are you sure the wood blocks are seated in the running boards? If you have the truss rods on try tightening them and see if it pulls the outside edge down, or just live with it. I am sure after getting in and out a few times they will be level. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Sunday, February 23, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

Not truss rods yet. In my thinking I was going to adjust the brackets as close to perfect as I could on both sides. Then install the truss rods.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

Post pictures! I'm pretty sure that you want your running boards to be parallel to the plane created by the top of the frame rails - both front to back as well as side to side. Anything other than that will look weird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:44 pm:

There is a diagram on the FunProjects website that shows all of the proper dimensions for the frame, running board brackets, etc. if you set your frame up according to this your running board placement will be correct, whatever that is... Unless there is something unique about a Couplet frame, and I don't think there is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 06:23 pm:

I have that diagram and have been using the measurements. My question is about he level of the running board.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:46 pm:

Maybe I don't understand your question exactly? How level the running board will be will vary based upon your suspension and the ground. Generally, with an unloaded car, the back end of the running board should be higher than the front end because the rear of the car should be higher than the front of the car and has a much heavier spring.
The running board should be parallel both up/down and in/out to the top of the frame rail. I don't have a ready reference to tell me how far below the frame rail it should be.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:39 am:

I agree with Wayne. The reference is to the frame, not to the ground or anything else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:17 pm:

My concern is the side to side (if you call it that). Front to back is not an issue.

Should the outer portion of the running board be at such an angle as to point downward. Or should the running board be level side to side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:33 pm:

The frame drawing shows the running board brackets level with the top of the frame both side to side and lengthwise as several posters already have written.

http://www.funprojects.com/pdf/FPIframe.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:35 pm:

Put the truss rods on and cold bend the irons up a 1/2 inch. What he is saying is the the outside edge, side to side not front to back, of the running boards is sagging a 1/2 inch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:47 pm:

Running board should be level to the floorboards in terms of side to side. You don't want that outer portion pointing down.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration