Looking for model T owners in Lancaster, Wisconsin

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Looking for model T owners in Lancaster, Wisconsin
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 07:26 pm:

I'm in Wisconsin looking for the family that owned my 1910 Ford touring. It was here in lancaster, Wisconsin from the early teens until 1968 when it was sold and taken out of the area. The car was well known in the area because the family refused to sell the car for so many years. Hoping were are a few model T owners in the area that might remember the car. So far the local library and historical society have been very helpful, but haven't turned up anything relevant. It's really cold here! Please help so I can get back to California!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

It is not cold in Wisconsin right now. Wait until Thursday with a high of 7. You would think there would be at least one relation of the previous owner living there. Not a big town or a populous area. Biggest problem is that they probably lived on a farm out in the county somewhere. Lots of hills and valleys.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 08:27 pm:

Dave, I think they lived in town because the car was stored in a cement block building which supposedly also housed the family radio business. Someone here knows, just need to find the right person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Maybe the local newspaper can help:

Grant County Herald Independent

Address: 208 W. Cherry St. Lancaster, WI 53813

Phone: (608) 723-2151

Description: The Grant County Herald Independent is the oldest continuance weekly newspaper in the State of Wisconsin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

Thanks Steve, I'm stopping there in the morning with a story I hope they will print. Lancaster is a small town, I thought it would be fairly easy to find someone who knows something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Kim - I give you lots of credit for going from sunny California to Wisconsin during an awful winter like this.

A newspaper article will certainly bring out something if there's anything out there concerning your car. Good Luck! And please let us know if you find out anything.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:06 am:

Wonder if you could find the radio shop listed in old directories? Might give you a name at least.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 11:13 am:

Do you have a name to work with? I have a tenant that is from Lancaster and may be of some help. A car like that would have probably participated in many a parade. Perhaps there is a participants list from surrounding communities that may be of some help.

In Wisconsin, there is a big difference between cold and a bit nippy with the latter being anything above -5. The amount of wind also plays into it. That will come later this week.

Good luck with your hunting and don't forget to wear the orange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 11:39 am:

Kim wrote an article about the car that appeared in the Nov/Dec 1995 issue of Vintage Ford where he said the the family name was Crawford.

The original owner died in WWI and the family put the car away.

The above details (last name, hometown, approx. dates of military service, approx. date of death) are enough information to do some genealogical research in order to track down living descendants of the Crawford family regardless if they currently reside in Lancaster or elsewhere in the U.S. Kim has probably already done some of that research.

For example, researching the Grant County Herald from April 1917 through October 1918 would probably yield an obituary of the original owner.

However, a person would not necessarily have to start at 1917/1918 to track down relatives.

Kim's article says the family sold the car at auction in 1968, so searching the 1968 editions of the Grant County Herald may yield the auction notice and, being a small town, possibly newspaper coverage of the event and names of specific relatives who were involved in it.

Bound volumes or microfilm of the newspaper probably reside at the newspaper offices, a library or local or state historical society.

Also, there are some Crawfords in Lancaster, WI currently listed in the telephone directory. For example:

http://dexknows.whitepages.com/name/James-C-Crawford-Jr/Lancaster-WI/5jj7cdq

So, one telephone call may result in some productive leads. Kim has probably already spoken to the Crawfords who currently reside in Lancaster.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 01:33 pm:

I have found that the best first place to start is any local historical society. I phone the historical society in Rhode Island searching for the owner family for my Delivery Car and the lady at the historical society said she phoned all of the people in the town with the last name I was seeking and bingo she replied to me via email that said "The grandson of the original owner of your truck would like to talk to you..." He was sharp as a tack and had all sorts of info including a picture of the truck the day they brought it home new. I was able to trace the ownership of the truck from me back to his grandfather and spoke to all living owners which included every one of them. Luckily not too many.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

Eric, you are correct, my car came with a very detailed history and providing it was all correct, research would be a piece of cake! There was no Crawford killed in WW1 from Lancaster or anywhere else in the county. There are no Crawfords, or Crawford radio. So, none of the history works. So I came here to Wisconsin in the dead of winter to see what I could find. I found real nice people, very nice countryside, but not much else. I did have a good meeting with the local paper who are going to do a story for me so hopefully that will turn up something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

Kim,
Have you asked Bill Glass of he knows about the car? He's always doing his best to keep up on all of the early Ts in Wisconsin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:36 am:

You got it all wrong, Kim. The Lancaster where you need to be searching is in Calif. . . .

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Dewey Asher Washington IL on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:07 am:

Kim: I have sent you a private message with some info that may be helpful to you in your search. Good Luck. Dewey

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

OK Ralf -- All things do not rotate around California - The rest of the World exists! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 07:51 pm:

Ralph, maybe your right! Thanks Dewey, got your pm, Eric , sent you a pm. Stuck at the airport, delayed by Obama flying in and out of Minneapolis, now the plane just had to return to the gate with computer problems. Lots of fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 08:24 pm:

Kim,

Sometimes the names were spelled many different ways. You may wish to try various spellings. Sometimes folks would drop a suffix or prefix to a name to fit into local culture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:14 am:

Kim,

I wonder if the software program designers for the plane's computers were the same ones that did the ACA? :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration