OT - Richard Petty on Danica

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Richard Petty on Danica
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

Correct Report Regarding a Politically Incorrect Statement

As many of you know, this was the weekend start of the 2014 NASCAR season. One of America's premier professional sports activities- The Daytona 500 Race. In preparation for this race, the King, 77 year old Richard Petty, addressed the most hyped driver in NASCAR, Danica Patrick. King Richard announced that Danica Patrick could only win a race if all the men stayed home. Later in a live interview he smiled and said well maybe she could win if one of the guys pushed her along. The good ole boy from North Carolina and five time NASCAR Champion had spoken.

The press, who are accustomed to political sensitivities, advocates of gays in the locker room and woman's equality had a field day with Petty's politically incorrect statement regarding the only woman NASCAR driver. Lets look at the facts and be objective, if not politically correct.

King Richard Petty is the son of a whiskey bootlegger who learned to drive running shine on the back roads of the mountains. He became the winningest driver in NASCAR history. With a record 27 wins, plus 7 Daytona wins, this man owns a race team that has dominated the sport for the past four decades. Richard Petty is one of the true qualified evaluators of driving skills. Ms. Patrick has the sponsorship and huge dollars from a computer services company, GoDaddy.Com. She drives cars prepared by Tony Stewart Racing, one of the premier race shops but she doesn't win! In fact, she doesn't even finish the race. Last year she was 32 out of 33 drivers in the season standing. She was ranked behind 8 rookies and 4 drivers who were running limited seasons without sponsorship. She crashed multiple times and unfortunately ended the race day for many male drivers who were otherwise without error and racing for an honest day's pay to support their families. In the week leading up to the Daytona 500, Danica even ran into her boyfriend's race car. Talk about a woman driver. This broad takes the cake. One can only pray that she doesn't hurt someone trying to make a statement in this highly competitive and dangerous activity.

In closing, I would like to say that Race Driver/Team Owner and elected political office holder, Richard Petty has his findings correct. The liberal press incorrectly interpreted his findings. There may be a woman driver who will come to the top in this rough and tumble NASCAR circuit, but it is not foxy Danica Patrick. She should stick with her lingerie ads and stay off the track before somebody gets hurt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

Danica Sue Patrick, born March 25, 1982 is an American auto racing driver, model and advertising spokeswoman. She is the most successful woman in the history of American open-wheel racing—her win in the 2008 Indy Japan 300 is the only women's victory in an IndyCar Series race and her third place in the 2009 Indianapolis 500 the highest finish ever there by a woman. She competed in the series from 2005 to 2011. In 2012 she competed in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and occasionally in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. In the 2013 season, Patrick drove the #10 GoDaddy.com Chevrolet SS for Stewart-Haas Racing in the Sprint Cup Series, and a limited Nationwide Series schedule for Turner Motorsports. In 2013, she became the first female NASCAR driver to win a NASCAR Sprint Cup Series pole, turning in the fastest qualifying lap since 1990 in qualifying for the Daytona 500.

Patrick started in kart racing and later raced in Formula Ford in the United Kingdom before returning to the United States and moving up to IndyCars. She was named the Rookie of the Year for both the 2005 Indianapolis 500 and the 2005 IndyCar Series season. She holds the IRL record for most consecutive races running at the finish: as of October 2, 2011, she had completed 50 consecutive in the running (besting the record by 18).[4] During her time in IndyCar, Patrick drove for Rahal Letterman Racing from 2005–2006, and Andretti Autosport from 2007 to 2011.

Petty doesn't have much to say about all the men who have failed as NASCAR drivers, does he? Her determination and success speaks well for her. Your calling her a "broad" shows your prejudice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

Jon,

This subject has no place on this forum.

This is the subject of bar talk or barber shop banter.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:48 pm:

Janet Guthrie was a pretty good open wheel driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. Gustaf Bryngelson on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

What Stan and Jim said! Petty did not say much about the crashes that Earnhart caused to help his team mates win, and he even managed to kill himself while doing it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

PS
I don't go in bars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:02 pm:

I believe that Danica was taken out of the Daytona by a male driver. I didn't watch closely due to the rain delay but I thought she led a couple of laps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:12 pm:

I watched the whole race. Yes Paul, other drivers took her out. She wasn't leading any laps. That was last years race which they re-aired last night to keep us all amused during the rain delay. I've watched Danica closely. Her main fault appears to be that she is too nervous for the job which makes a win unlikely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:34 pm:

Well, when they go back to bringing a car in off the show room floor,A Ford,a Chevy and a Danged ol Dodge and put a roll cage in them and run them on the track as they are built,I would show slight intrest in watching rolling billboards with the funny looking dudes with million dollar wives.Men that went to school to learn how to drive a race car? Heck they shoulda been learning that after school building hotrods as kids.
if it werent for the money they make they wouldnt score a woman in a insane aslyum.
Richard just said what alot of people think and wont say.
not that I aggree.I wouldnt get on the track at all so she is either braver or dumber than I am.
it used to be said that women "worked" their way to the top in music and everywhere else they go.And a couple singers I still think that may be the case sadly.But some women are trying, it is the stereo typeing that is harder to fix than the actual job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 10:41 pm:

Plenty of guys have "worked" their way to the top in show business, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

I don't where you hail from Jon but I wish I knew so I'd know where not to go....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, February 24, 2014 - 11:53 pm:

I'd rather be out driving a T than watching a bunch of cars go around in circles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:36 am:

I am a very, very, casual observer of NASCAR. If there is nothing else worth watching on Sunday TV, (often), I am not at work, I have nothing better to do, (not to often), I will watch it. I was working on a totally worn out door latch and window regulator on one of the old cars and had the race on in the house. I was only updated when I left the garage to wash my hands, look something up in a manual or find out what the parts I need cost!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:36 am:

While I don't follow this stuff AT ALL, a friend of mine who used to call NASCAR races told me that there is a big difference between open wheel racing and NASCAR racing--and that it is very difficult to convert from one to the other. He told me few drivers are able to change the habits they learned in Open Wheel that hurts them in NASCAR driving. His opinion is that Richard is right, she's not making the transition well, but many guys haven't either! It may be that the sex of the driver isn't a real factor in Richard's stated opinion.
But hey, what do I know??
I drive a T, I ain't racin' anyone!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:49 am:

I drove to a local T club event last Saturday in one of my T's and had to pass a low rider. Now that is racing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:56 am:

A friend of mine was involved in the sponsor area. He told me winners were pretty much decided by money and influence,and once in a while an upset would happen. I have not been interested in it because of this. The funny thing is my wife watches it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:57 am:

Jon: Put aside the fact that Danica is a female in a male dominated sport. She has every right to compete as anyone else. If Tony Stewart wants to take a chance with her, who are we to question that move. His credentials are pretty solid as a winning driver and multiple NASCAR champ.

Her experience is in open-wheel racing and she was able to hold her own in that discipline. The conversion to stock cars is never easy and she came in knowing that. She has seen others fail. With that said, her learning curve has been steady and growing. As stated above, she has caused some wrecks, but for the most part she has been the victim of other drivers mistakes. Fairly typical for a new driver. Even Jaun Pablo Montoya has struggled and he has a destroyed jet dryer to his credit.

Will she ever win a race? Who knows. As of now, JPM only has one win and that was on a road course. The list of winless drivers in the cup series is long and some of them were pretty good drivers themselves.

I have been a fan of King Richard since I was a teenager and I respect is driving abilities, but on this issue he is wrong. Going after Danica is a PR stunt and reeks of the good ol' boy mentality of the NASCAR of the 1980's and earlier. Times are a changin' and she is just the one to lead that charge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Grohsmeyer on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:21 pm:

There are sports and there are 'games', but everyone has an opinion. Unless you have actually competed in the sport or game, it's just an opinion.
Having driven tracks such as Talladega, racing is not a game.
If you look at the statistics from drivers like Kyle Petty - who seems to be the self appointed expert on Danica's performance so far - www.racing-reference.info/driver/Kyle_Petty - show he didn't win a cup race until his 8th year as a Cup Driver.
Richard Petty, who I have met a couple times related to a corporate donation to the Petty's Victory Junction Gang Charity, is a great guy, but his statistics - www.racing-reference.info/driver/Richard_Petty - show he didn't win a Cup race until his 3rd year.
Times have changed a lot since their tenure, and Cup rules are much tighter now than 20 years ago - cheating has pretty much been eliminated.
Danica has just started her 2nd year in the Cup Series.
I hope she takes her boss' offer up on a race against Richard. It would be very interesting to hear Richards reaction to the outcome.
In these economic times, with declining attendance at all sports venues, she hasn't hurt the sport any - quite the contrary.
Just my opinion . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 01:37 pm:

I have little to no interest in NASCAR, couldn't name a team or a driver after the two or three most prominent but I applaud anybody who takes on a tough challenge of any kind and sticks with it. I have little time for people who refuse to give credit where credit is due and base their assignations on baseless prejudices rather than facts. She has fought to get approval in several other racing programs, has proven her ability and determination. The fact that she is physically attractive and athletic in other disciplines in no way diminishes the fact that she is brave enough to put her life on the line on the track, talented enough to qualify in several driver's series and good enough to win.

Anybody can be a critic and put down other successful people. For the people who think everything everybody else does is easy and can't wait to badmouth it, I'll offer a personal challenge. Show up at a concert I'm working with somewhere between a hundred and several thousand people listening to every note you sing and every word you say. Walk out on stage and I'll hand you my guitar and you can step up to the mic and do your thing. Or just bring your fiddle and play backup over a 50,000 watt sound system, you don't have to sing. Just make sure you don't miss a note. Show up at an auction where we are selling a $50,000 tractor or car and I'll hand you the mic and let you take control of the crowd and see how you do. You will find that there is a lot of difference between singing to your grandkids around the campfire and performing in front of the crowd. Now add to Danica's situation that she races against all men, some of whom will do anything to get you off the stage, some of whom would be more than happy to see you crash at 200 mph, be aware that there is not only a lot of money at stake on the track but a lot of other things riding on your performance -- sponsorships, other drivers lives, etc.; and I find her to be pretty damn brave and gutsy. I'm willing to bet she would take on Petty and while she might not win, she would do it. I applaud that. If she wins, Petty will say he had to let her win because she's a girl. If she loses he will say it just shows women can't drive. She is in a no-win situation but I'm willing to bet she would do it. I might have to become a NASCAR fan after all.

As an aside, 50 years ago when I started teaching elementary school, girls were told they could be teachers and nurses but couldn't be school Superintendents or Doctors. I hope I helped to change those stereotypes. Many of us vetted the grade school books and made them change the pages that showed mommy cooking supper and bringing daddy his slippers because daddy worked so hard. Today, my 13 years old adopted granddaughter knows she can do anything she wants. She loves Science and if that's what she wants to pursue I will encourage her to do it. I will be the last to tell her she can't take Hunter Safety and learn to shoot a gun, can't play sports because she's a girl and can't aspire to be a race driver because of her gender. America is for every person to live their life the way they see it. We need people like Danica to be positive roll models for our girls as well as our boys. More power to her for having the courage to do what life called her to do. How many of you who criticize her can say the same thing about your life??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

"role" not "roll." Type too fast. Don't proofread enough.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 01:54 pm:

You caught that pretty quick Stan. I wasn't gonna say nothing about it...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By daniel ryan on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:07 pm:

'Stan: thank you,you are 100% correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:13 pm:

The only reason Danica Patrick doesn't win more races is because she drives a 1906 Ford Model N in all of here races. Here is a picture of her and her mother getting ready for a race with her pit crew.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:17 pm:

Stan has hit the nail squarely on its little noggin. Mister Petty appears to be NASCAR's Bobby Riggs. He is being petty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

My girls love the fact that Danica is racing the boys, the fact that she is not winning is really of no concern, to them but may be of concern to her sponsors eventually.
Xbox has made it even easier for them to be Danica and here at home, Danica has been very successful in her racing.
Being a model T forum, l agree this aint the place for this discussion...........
Me personally l prefer Marcos Ambrose.. another Aussie, chipping away at the US big boys.
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

What's wrong with " pictures of mommy cooking and bringing daddy his slippers"? Sounds like a normal family situation to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Dave,

I'm afraid all those pictures are hanging in museums. Still, sounds nice.... oh well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:59 pm:

Petty didn't go after Danica... he was asked during an interview if he thought she could win, to which he replied "if everyone else stayed home"

He gave an honest answer to a question he was asked.

He also said this in that same interview:
"If she'd have been a male, nobody would ever know if she'd showed up at a race track. This is a female deal that's driving her. There's nothing wrong with that, because that's good PR for me. More fans come out, people are more interested in it. She has helped to draw attention to the sport, which helps everybody in the sport."

The whole thing was blown out of proportion by the media trying to create a story. His answer would have been the same whether it was her, or any other 3rd tier back-marker driver that he was asked about.

Petty is a respectable man, and I'd rather hear the unwashed truth from him than a sugar-coated fairy-tale about how great she is. Her greatest accomplishments are in marketing, not driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 05:36 pm:

I have six sisters and five brothers. I have seven daughters and two sons. I have six grand daughters and three grand sons. I'm coming down on Danica's side. I hope she climbs the mountain in her chosen profession.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 05:43 pm:

Dave I agree with you.
Erosion of the concept of family has gone to far to save it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Danial - Veneta OR US Earth Solar System on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

I think it's great she's racing but I watched the interview and I didn't hear anything come out of Petty's mouth that was overly untoward. Unless there's a part of the interview I haven't seen.

Sounded to me that he was just responding to a question with a straight answer.

Wouldn't it be great if we lived in a world where people could only say things WE liked to hear? No. grin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

That may your interpretation of the family but the reality is that many children are raised in single parent households, in households where mommy is a surgeon or Aerospace engineer and works just as hard as daddy does or harder, in households where daddy is the custodial parent - doing the cooking, the washing and the cleaning; where daddy in his chair and mommy bringing him his pipe and slippers would be mommy is a person of color and daddy is not, lots of different scenarios and different realities for a child to learn. If we only teach children the traditional roles for women and boys the traditional roles for men we are leaving out a huge reality of this country and leading children who do not live in that situation to think there is something wrong with their family. This is a nation of many colors, many ethnicities, many familial situations. It is the charge of the public school in America to provide equal educational opportunity to all students without regards to race, creed, or personal beliefs.

That's what's wrong with showing a white mommy in the kitchen cooking with a white daddy sitting in his chair while his subservient wife brings him his pipe and slippers. Don't believe it?? Go teach on an Indian reservation for a couple years. Go teach at a Hutterite Colony school. Go teach in the inner city where nearly all students are black. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 06:51 pm:

How did this become a discussion of black vs white? I thought we were talking male and female. What is wrong with the world today when people think there is something offensive about mentioning God's appointed head of the family? Yet at the same time, it's suddenly okay to cheer on the gay lesbian transgender and queer alliance. No wonder the world is such a mess today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:32 pm:

I don't think it is a discussion of black and white. I think it has been a discussion of equal opportunity. Whether you like it or not, this is a country of wide diversity. There are many loving and caring families of every race, every economic and social strata and the school and society need to recognize that. Not everyone in this country or anywhere else in the world believes that any god appointed anyone as the head of the family. (Incidentally, my personal beliefs do not enter in to this discussion.) I'm saying that the school has an obligation to recognize that not every child comes from a home with a white daddy and a white mama raising their children in a nice white house in the suburbs with daddy working and mommy staying home baking cookies and waiting for the kids to come home from their school. There is a real world out there. If you don't believe it, go teach at an Indian reservation school in rural Montana. You will soon realize there are alternate realities to yours that are just as valid even tho they are different. I taught for two years on the Crow reservation and a year at a Mennonite school. They were an eye opening education for a young teacher.

Since this is the Model T forum we probably should drop this since it is really off topic and was from the first stroke of a key.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 07:50 pm:

Well, I can agree we are getting to far off topic for our own good and should probably drop it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:20 pm:

I'm kind of surprised that so many guys in my age bracket have become so politically correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:45 pm:

Stan,I see where you are comeing from but at the same time, it took 2 to create a child,there should be 2 there to raise it.Thus my statement regarding erosion of the family.
As far as the subject of Danica, she looks good,is makeing good money.and single.must not be to dumb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:51 pm:

Derek -- Thanks for setting the record straight.

Richard Petty is correct - If she were a man she would just be another run in the pack driver but she is a female and she makes for good print.

In last Sunday's Daytona 500 she finished in the top 10 and someone made a big deal out of it being the highest any woman has finished in the Daytona Spring race.
I wonder if they mentioned how high a guy with blue eyes finished the race!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:00 pm:

Correction...she placed 40th out of 43 and crashed a couple of guys!
Hey: Richard Petty will be at Autorama in Detroit next weekend. Maybe he will have a comment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

LOL That's right - 40 out of 43

I was half asleep when they said that she finished 8th in 2013 race at the end of the 2014 race - The highest any woman has finished in the Daytona 500

Just proves Petty's point - she finishes close to the back and she still gets comments because she is a woman - not because of her driving skills

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 08:34 pm:

Nascar today is a real snooze fest. When Petty started and until 1971 it was fun to watch. When they introduced restrictor plates and the 6 liter rule it killed my interest. The COTA made it completely boring and unwatchable.

Petty is out of line (senile maybe) if he actually said that. There have been relatives of his that were that bad for a longer period of time. If Danica wants to do it and the sponsors are willing to pay it means the products being sponsored are selling well due to Danica's participation, whether winning or just showing up.

I like the way she looks way better than Kyle Petty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:02 pm:

Is Kyle Petty the one with the hair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:25 am:

Richard Wolf, yes. I recall watching a race years ago when Evernham was with Gordon. ( I lost interest when they parted and don't watch anymore). Kyle Petty was driving a car, the announcer said "He probably can't see with all that hair in his helmet." He was driving like crap.

I got a laugh out of that.

I had to chime, although I don't think this topic belongs here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:09 am:

I don't think this is the place, either. I used to be a big fan, but not anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:36 am:

I think Royce is right about the restrictor plates. Some folks tried (and succeeded for a while) to do the same thing to the Montana 500. Restrictor plates were required in the Model T's for about 20 years starting in 1983.

Wow, I can't believe I brought this thread on-topic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:10 am:

Royce is right (Did I really say that?) NASCAR Sprint Cup is a snooze.

I prefer weekly short track racing (and some of the short track touring groups) where the folks are real and the drama is not fabricated by some talking empty head.

My favorite touring groups are the ISMA Super Modifieds followed by the Modified Racing Series in the North East.

Once you know the people, weekly divisions can be very interesting, exciting and entertaining.
You might expect Carla D to spin at least once during a race but she might surprise you with a win -
Or you know that Bobby "rockhead" will most likely get upset and try to push the leader off the track even if he is down 2 laps.
Then there is Ralf who was suspended for three weeks due to rough driving and the first thing he does when he returns is hit the pace car.
Or the 17 year old kid that wins his first 350 supermodified race at your track and later you see him on TV driving midgets, and Silver Crown cars.

It is like most sports - when you know the people your interest is high -

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:12 am:

Restrictor plates or not, I can tell you that Miss Jillian and Nan run just as hard as any of the men and a lot harder than some and look better doing it. Why do they not win every race?? Same reasons the men don't win. They break down, they get behind some slower driver, they can't pull the hill quite as fast as some guy with a more powerful car, all sorts of reasons. Do they have some advantages because they are female??? Yup, neither one of their cars has to pack Mike Stormo or me up a hill. I weigh easily twice (and more) of what Miss Jillian does, Stormo and Cuffe and some of the other drivers are handicapped in a similar manner; she isn't needing anywhere near the power to zip up those Montana hills that we are. Trust me on this, lard will keep you from going up a hill a lot more than it helps you going down. One year Doug Davis and I went in my 26 roadster I'd just bought. It had a POS engine anyway, Miss Jillian passed us going up toward Kings Hill through Monarch like we weren't even moving. We calculated that there was 585 lbs of us plus tools, two thermoses of coffee, a couple jackets, some spare parts, a few candy bars, a carton of cigs for Doug, etc., in our car and Miss J probably was packing 110 lbs with maybe 5 lbs of parts, tools and M & M's for sustenance and a hot Carnegie/Robison engine. No wonder she smoked us on the hills. We didn't need a restrictor plate. We needed lard removal. Biggest problems she had during the race that year was loosing the flapper off her timer two or three times and having to spend time getting her picture taken everywhere we stopped. (At the time, her wardrobe was even simpler than ours, which was Wranglers and work shirts. Hers was black shorts with a pink top one day and pink shorts with a black top the next paired with either pink or black tennis shoes to match her pink and black car. We were not exactly hindered by fashion selection time in the morning choosing our outfits, we were well aware that nobody cared what we wore and pretty much everybody was anxious to see what Miss J was wearing that day. Doug and I never got our picture taken even one time and the only comments on us would have been "Look at those two old fat guys driving that Model T)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:26 am:

To any one still reading this, in the header of the thread topic it starts with OT, this means off topic, and short of any profanity or other violation of forum rules this topic is allowed.
I have been reading it and though I've not checked the updates as often as other threads, I'll look at it. I like looking at Danica, I think she's a whole lot better looking and more interesting than Jeff G or Kyle P. She might not be a better NASCAR driver than most but she drives that car of hers better than I could!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:27 pm:

NASCAR would be a whole lot more interesting if they'd go back and put actual Mustangs/Chargers/Camaros/Camrys (lol at Camrys) out there. The only things you're allowed to change being the interior can be stripped out, roll cage added, and everyone uses the same wheels/tires. Has to be a legit production car with at least X number of vehicles (preferably a high number) made.

Parts can be removed - mufflers/excess weight/sideview mirrors, but nothing can be added (except the roll cage). Cut the length of the tracks way down and presto! That'd be crazy fun to watch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:54 pm:

Never happen. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

Seth,

Agree 100%. A true "stock car" race!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

Richard is right.It would be to "dangerous".
I think nascar took a nose dive when they let the Toys on the track anyhow.but they skated in there because of assembled in America.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

What I'm wondering is where are the Dodges? They once ruled the track and are now gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

They got tired of "dodging" all the other cars. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:56 pm:

Dodge dropped out of Sprint Cup shortly after Brad Keselowski won the championship in 2012 driving a Dodge (I use that term loosely) for Penske Racing.

Penske had decided to switch to Fords for 2013 and Dodge decided to sit out for a while rather than scramble to put a 2013 program together with another team or teams.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration