ACCESSORY OF THE DAY - 02/25/2014 - THOMAS TIMER ELEVATOR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: ACCESSORY OF THE DAY - 02/25/2014 - THOMAS TIMER ELEVATOR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:16 am:

These units are cast iron. I've seen a lot of these with broken arms from being dropped. Any body have a photo of what the linkage looks like for installing one of these, or for that fact is anyone here running one of these??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 10:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

I have attached a picture of the one on my 1914 Touring. I will try to see who made mine.

Upright Timer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 12:15 pm:

Jay,

It's kind of a cool thing, but aside from making the timer easier to get to, does it really do anything to actually improve performance of a T engine? Of the 5 "Advantages" listed in the advertisement, 3 really just tell you how easy it is to install and how it's made, having nothing to do with improving anything. The advantages of the other 2 items listed are debatable at best. Even though it's a period accessory, IMHO it's a great example of an item that does more for the seller than the buyer.

As usual, thanks for posting this! Your efforts are truly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 01:44 pm:

They must have really been popular, at one time I had a whole box of them I'd taken off engines or bought at farm sales. I think the advantage of getting the timer up out of the water and oil that was always all over everything was worth the cost. Most people today have never fought a T down a muddy farm road with water splashing up all over the front of the engine drowning the timer or water blowing out of a broken off overflow tube on a hard pull and soaking up the timer.

There were a bunch of different manufacturers who made pretty much the same thing but I think Thomas had most of the market.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

Victor W. Thomas
Waukegan, Illinois
Timer Elevator for Ford Cars
Patent number: 1460806
Filing date: Feb 21, 1921
Issue date: Jul 3, 1923
http://tinyurl.com/n4m2vqx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

But Henry, it clearly states that it "...corrects all ignition trouble arising from the timer." What more do you need to know? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Vagasky,Tucson on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:11 pm:

Well, I would install one if I had that gear and bushing that goes on the cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 04:24 pm:

OK - it probably is better on a muddy road. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 09:28 pm:

I have tried to find one, even at Chickasha with no luck, sure none around these parts. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:37 am:

Any timer that would be affected by an oil leak from the camshaft would benefit from an elevator timer maybe that is what they mean by "it corrects all trouble arising from the timer"

Certainly makes it easier to get to and work on.

There are Australian made versions of the Timer elevator as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 07:23 am:

Keith obviously your inability to find one of these is because Jay has them all! LOL (just joking Jay)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:19 am:

I have had a few of these over time, the last one I had got away from me, long story. I would like to have another, I cannot bend over, see, and etc., and they DO make it easier for people like me, that is the main advantage for me when I am tinkering with the timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 10:13 am:

Does that make it a distributor?,couldn't resist.

Rick

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration