27 touring floor mat cutting and fitting question ???

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 27 touring floor mat cutting and fitting question ???
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

Im fitting my new front floor mat in the 27 touring. Is there any photos of a correct fitting mat. I have seen where people just put them in and they run up the firewall and also on both sides. Are they supposed to be cut to fit on top of the floorboards and not lap up onto the rocker sill area. I also assume they should be cut to fit all the way to the firewall and not lap up the firewall and cover the data plate. A good photo of that area in a improved open car would be nice. Thanks ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:14 am:

Donnie, when you get the answer to your question about how the mat fits, The next thing is to cut it so it fits.

I make a template using smaller pieces of card and masking tape. Place pieces of card along a straight edge, like the heel kick plate, and tape them together. Add additional pieces of card around the edges, cutting them to the shape needed, taping them together as you go. You will finish up with an accurate pattern to use when making the cuts for the fitting of your new mat.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:45 am:

Allen has a good point. I have taped newspaper, roof felt, construction paper, and paper bags together as pre-pattern material. It is an easy way to get the shape you need without damage to the final material. You can transfer the thin paper pattern to cardboard for stiffness if needed or pin the paper in place. I have made paper patterns and converted them to a piece of tin for wood or metal patterns that I want several copies from.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:34 am:

Places like McDonalds get most of their stock in corrugated boxes. Foam or paper cups come in large ones. That's your material for making a pattern like Allan describes. It's thick and stiff enough to make a pattern without the added step of transferring from paper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:45 pm:

Good suggestions for cutting patterns, Im still wondering about how to fit it. If you cut it to fit laying between the sills/rockers and between the cardboard kick panels, the mats tend to "curl" up at the edges. If you leave everything about a inch too wide they tend to stay laid down at the edges. I was hoping to find out how Ford did it. Thanks ...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration