Coil Box Switch Questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Coil Box Switch Questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 12:59 pm:

In the photo of my switch,I have labeled where I think the wire from the Battery (B) Post and the wire from the Magneto (M) post are attached. I do not know where the middle (COM) wire goes, is it where I have marked the ?, does it just get soldered at that point. Apparently the battery and magneto attachment is with screw terminals, but I don't see any for the COM wire.
Also as can be seen the insulating material is broken where the wire holes are. Can this be replaced, with what material ? I have not seen a source for switch parts. I hope I can use this switch as a new complete switch is nearly $ 300. Switch

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:13 pm:

I believe goes into your coilbox to provide power to the coils, either from the mag, or from the battery, depending where the switch is positioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:15 pm:

William
The common terminal that is wired to the coilbox input are the two screws shown here marked "C". you can use either of them. The switch applies Battery or Magneto power to the common terminals based upon the position of the switch.

Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Jerry is correct. It attached to the wire which is attached to the metal strip in the bottom of the coil box

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Hey William, the one you have as ? is connected with those two screws to the left and right of it, the left one looks pretty clean and the right is rusty and boogered a little. That whole thing is 1 piece - left screw/center contact/right screw.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty confident you run a wire from either of those screws (just one, not both) to the big long contact that is on the bottom of the coil box.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Yes, you can cut a new insulator from thick gasket paper. If I remember correctly, I used steel pop rivets and threaded them with a tap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:28 pm:

Another view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:52 pm:

Thanks to everyone for the quick response to my questions. The photos were very helpful, I now understand how to wire the coil box. I am sure I will have lots more questions as I proceed with my project.I haven't figured out how to post a link to a previous thread. If anyone is interested they can read about my project in a posting August 12 of last year titled New club member, new T owner

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 04:05 pm:

Here's the link to William's 2013 thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/380990.html?1377118961

William, all I did to do this was to find your earlier thread, click on it, then copy the command line off the top of my browser and paste it into this thread.

Please keep posting updates on the progress of your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 04:34 pm:

I didn't mention it above, but in my second picture you see I've installed the Fun Projects coil box kit. It's highly recommended by lots of folks because it eliminates the likelihood of misfiring or no firing from carbon tracking in wet weather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:15 pm:

Yes, I did notice that. That's what I intend to use. Is the waterproof one that Lang's sells the same thing. The only reason I ask is that I have a gift certificate to use at Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Goodheart on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:22 pm:

Thanks Mark, for the help on posting the link, I will try that the next time. The body is currently being restored by a guy with experience in body restoration, but not Model T, I have already purchased a wood kit from fordwood.com.
I should get the body back in early April, however I am scheduled for total hip replacement surgery on April 14, that will slow me down some, I am sure. They tell me that Hip replacement recovery time is faster than knee replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

A couple of friends of mine at work got hip replacements a few years ago (before I retired). Both of them were back at work a week or two later and were walking normally with no pain, they were very pleased with the results. They did say that at first there was some soreness just from having their leg bent at angles that it wouldn't normally go during the surgery.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration