Windshield glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Windshield glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Replacing the windshield glass in my 26 Tudor. The fellow at the glass shop says the requirement for windshield glass in Canada is AS1. Which is 6 mm thick,...problem is the rubber gasket available is too thick to fit into the frame channel along with the 6 mm glass.
Wondering what other options are available,....thinner glass or thinner rubber gasket material?

Dave eddie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:31 pm:

I'd try to find thinner rubber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 01:40 pm:

Several layers of the old style cloth electrical tape works good. Or the glass setting rubber caulk that is used in modern cars will work. Modern vinyl tape could also be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leon Parker on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:40 pm:

Use glass setting tape. Your glass shop should have it in stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:21 pm:

You made the mistake of letting him know it's for a windshield. Laminated side glass fits (but isn't legal--anyone know if this would be a factor in an accident & insurance claims?).
The shop should have some thinner glass setting tape that would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:39 pm:

It is down under, along with toughened glass ( safety glass ).
I think you'll find laminated is far faster to get as it can be cut onsite at the glass supplier, Toughened glass on the other hand needs to be cut and then toughened.
Cost is about the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Find another glass shop. They make about 5-6 different setting tapes all different thicknesses. I used the soft all rubber type on a 26 Tudor and 1/4" (6.35mm) laminated AS1 safety glass. The tape is about 5/64" thick. This type is lubed with oil to slip into the frame. It's a little messy and still takes a little persuasion but it went in. After about 10 minutes, it swells and sets. No chance of a leak. After that, just trim the excess with a hobby knife or razor blade.

I had the shop cut the glass from a broken original and I installed it. I just told them is was for an antique restoration and not include the labeling that's normally on flat glass.

If you install it yourself, just fold the tape around the edge of the glass. Tape it down as you go to hold it in place. Oil it and slip it in. Test fit the glass first and mark one side. Not all frames are square and/or even side to side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:29 pm:

I have a friend who is a glazier by trade and he used his industrial strength caulk that he uses on skyscrapers when he put my glass in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:12 pm:

I tell glass shops that I need a glass shelf for a display cabinet or coffee table cover. You can also have edges finished or not by telling them the edge is exposed or not. I also ask to not have the labeling or "bug" put on the glass.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:17 pm:

When I had the windshield replaced on my 26 Tudor the glass shop used the material they have on hand as Leon stated. Worked fine. The only rubber I purchased was for the windshield frame to seal to the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

Ken Kopsky said it: Find another shop.
Last Summer I had windshield safety glass installed in my '27 Tudor.
I took the entire frame to them, dropped it off and picked it up.
They never asked me any questions except to ask when did I need it.
Their work? PERFECT....... :-)
I think it cost me $160.......I remember the man saying how much time they had in it and I surely didn't dispute THAT.......getting all the old setting compound out.........better them than me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:53 am:

Lots of good advice here. But sometimes luck is more important. About 40 years ago when I was young and working on my first T I drew exact drawings with thickness specs for safety glass and made a 60 mile trip to a glass shop. I showed the owner the drawings and he asked what year model T I had! Somewhat taken aback I told him and mentioned plans to build a second earlier year one. He cut two sets right away for me and gave me a 25% discount and installation instructions. Next trip in I was invited to his house to see his T's. He was a founder of the local club. I'll never forget his help and kindness to a young kid. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:35 am:

Same here - I took my odd-size speedster windshield to a shop and dropped off the frame and said I wanted windshield glass in it. They called me when it was ready. Just take it to another shop.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration