Fresnel Lens to Help With Seeing Traffic Lights

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Fresnel Lens to Help With Seeing Traffic Lights
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

I don't know about other folks, but I have a terrible time seeing traffic lights in my 1923 touring / pickup conversion when the top is up. I bought one of those suction-cup Fresnel lenses from one of the vendors, but it was pretty small and I couldn't get it to stay stuck.

So, I ordered a modern equivalent, that I have used on my daily driver for years and it really helps. It is made of thin plastic and sticks to the inside of the windshield using only water. It stays stuck unless you want to re-position it or move it to another vehicle, in which case you can peel it right off and re-stick it with fresh water.

light_in_sight

Here is a link to the company's website, I have no connection to them other than as a satisfied customer.

http://www.lightinsight.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:01 pm:

Great idea -- I could use one of those

I usually ask one of the kids to let me know when the light turns green because scrunching down makes my back hurt.

When I am alone I wait for someone to hank their horn - after all I have already pissed them off because I go too slow.

I am thinking I should add a line that says
"The driver of this vehicle has a heart condition. Please refrain from startling him."

I don't have to tell them that the heart condition means that I love my wife, kids, and granddaughters :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:09 pm:

Check this out - same type of thing at lower cost

Read the reviews - One guy used half of it on his windshield to see traffic lights

http://www.amazon.com/CIPA-60100-Wide-Angle-Lens/dp/B000TCCWS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF 8&qid=1393445013&sr=8-1&keywords=LightinSight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 03:42 pm:

Great catch Fred, if you end up using it, please take a picture of it installed and let us know how it works out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:13 pm:

I think the small item that Mark posted is for the front window and the large one that Fred posted is for the back window. If you read the information about them the small one fits below a rear view mirror on the front window and the information about the large one states its attached to the rear window to aid you in backing up and parking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:37 pm:

The big ones have been around for a long time. I had one on the back window of a van in the 80's.
Now it's the rearview camera with an image on your dash monitor.
Hmmmm, maybe I should see if I can hook up an external camera to my iPhone so I can see out back whilst glancing at a GPS speedometer in my "T".
Naw, I'll just look in the mirror, and go the speed I always go :-))

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

It is easy to over-complicate things with modern technology :-)

My brother's Lexus has a neat feature - his backup camera uses information from the steering to project two lines onto his video monitor, showing where the back of the car will go if you continue backing up with the current steering angle. The lines move as you turn the steering wheel. Very handy for dodging trash cans or whatever as you're backing up. Of course, their owner's manual has a disclaimer saying that they are not responsible for anything you hit while using the video guidelines... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

If you think a model T is bad, you should try some of the '20s non-Ford sedans and coupes. Especially the ones with the so-called "pelican" visors where the roof line just continues to about six inches forward of the windshield.

The Studebaker I used to have. A wonderful car, by the way.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:59 am:

I've found that I can see the reflection of the traffic light in the paint of my hood, even when my car is quite dirty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:58 am:

Those have been around for several decades. They were especially useful with the old traffic signals that were hung on a cable over the center of the intersection.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:00 am:

I ordered one that looks like the bottom of a Coke bottle but sliced at an angle. I don't need it now but I'm planning on making a nifty convertible top for my speedster. The problem is the little suction cup is so cheap and pathetic I don't have a good way to attach it to the windshield. I'll end up getting one of these. It'll be less conspicuous anyway.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration