What are these for?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: What are these for?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 04:56 pm:

I recently bought a 1924 T and these hubcaps were on the wheels. They were keeping grease in the bearings but are not Ford passenger car caps. They are larger, aluminum, but the Ford wrench fits?
I have four in good condition but what are they for? May be for tractor front wheels?
Not sure if the picture will be there will have to shrink it down.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:02 pm:

The official maximum file size for pictures is 200 KB, but I've found it's really 194 KB.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:04 pm:

Richard,

With no pics I'm just guessing but, they sound like one of hundreds of aftermarket items that were available to "dress-up" your Model T and make it stand out from the other 15,000,000 copies on the road.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

I'm curious to see what you've got going on. I hope the picture snafu works itself out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

Lets try this again, the hubcaps have the letter F on them but are aluminum. Hubcaps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:41 pm:

Those are accessory hubcaps. There are several variations of the "f" hubcaps.

http://tonynoonan.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/dscf2139.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:51 pm:

Ed, the ford hubcap will fit inside the ones shown so they may be Fordson tractor maybe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 10:23 pm:

Could be from any number of cars that the name started with an "F". The Fordson tractor didn't have that type of hub cap and as there are 4 the same size would not have been TT truck. Or it could be as simple as they are monogram hub caps for someone with the last name starting with the letter F.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:22 pm:

I have got a NOS one, same I.D., it fits a Model T hub fine.

It came with a bunch of N.O.S. parts out of a Ford garage in the 50's.

The one I have had a Red back ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:25 am:

As an aside, I read on a Model A forum several years ago where someone had some Model A hub caps that were import reproductions that instead of having the "Ford" script it said "Fool". It would not have been noticed by the casual observer. The manufacturer must have been too cheap to pay Ford the royalties.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:29 am:

You could always sell them to someone named Fred, Frank, Fernand, Finklestein, Frankenstien, Ftiz, Frances, Fink, or Fine and tell them that they are a personal monogram hub cap.

Heck if you read all those names together real fast it almost sounds like a law firm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:36 am:

Funny!! I like your humor Dennis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:57 pm:

After all the information received, I went out and tried them on the wheels. Three of them fit perfect and the one I tried first must have been bent as it slides over the threads. Guess I will try to shrink it back to size and use them on the T.
Thank you for all the input, maybe aluminum is not the best material for hubcaps.
Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:52 pm:

Dennis, my favorite law firm is Robb, Cheatham & Steele.

As in, "Hey, Mr. Robb did ya'll ever manage to settle that big estate case you were working on?"

"Yeah, but it was a heck of a battle. The heirs almost got some of it."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:41 pm:

Hal,

Those "Fool" hubcaps exist. I have a NOS set I picked up years ago. Kind of a fun thing to put on the wheels. And no, I didn't pay a "fool" price for them. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:30 am:

Dennis, can you please post a picture of your "Fool" hubcaps? We'd love to see them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

Mark

Here is one of those "Bool" hubcaps, I had a set on my '31 Model A in the sixties, they were modern repros and had that legend to get around paying Ford license fees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:12 pm:

What a hoot, thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:53 pm:

And some '20s catalog pics of accessory hub caps.

and these have large cover that goes over the hub bolts and really looks good on the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:10 pm:

There was an antique auto parts house in Santa Ana years ago, that had a whole wall filled with those "Looks Like" hub caps for all different brands of cars.

The one that stands out in my memory was the one for a Nash. It read "Naah"

I believe J.C. Whitney sold those for years. I remember reading in their catalog that they suggested buying an entire set of four because they were not "exact" replacements for the original. Also, most of them were not stainless. There were merely chrome-plated steel and would quickly rust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:00 pm:

The story I got on the Bool or Fool hub caps was someone made them without being license by Ford and too not loose their shirt when Ford stepped in and told them to stop, had them re-stamped to read Bool and Fool. You can find them for 28-29 and 30-31.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration