Roadster Panels

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Roadster Panels
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

A friend has recently picked up a "15 roadster" kitset. Among the panels are a couple like this.

Note the smooth transition (no crease) at the bottom where the side panel meets the back panel. All the cars / panels I have seen in the past have a crease.

Is it ford T ?

If so, what year ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:35 am:

I really don't know the answers to your questions but I will make a couple observations. Also your NZ bodies may differ from US production.

This panel doesn't look like any of my 1915-22 panels. First no "crease" as you mentioned. The crease should smoothly extend from the rear vertical edge curving forward to blend with the bottom of the panel.

In looking at the middle picture the rear vertical edge appears to be too straight up and down. The rear top of the panel should wrap around more to meet the center panel. This would give more "tilt back" to the top thus angled more rearward for the upper seat back.

Also the curve on the top of the panel seems to be too shallow. My 15-22 shows a deeper "S" curve leading to mate with the seat back.

Some of what I am seeing my be due to the angle of the photos taken. But I feel these are similar panels from a different make roadster. Just my 2 cents. Hope others can lend some more light on the subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Booth on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:23 am:

All I see is green grass. I'm jealous...

Paul -in snowed in MN

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rion Schulze on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:07 am:

Yep, I can't get past the green grass either. Can you repost this in the spring?

that's all the help I am with this.

Rion in 500 below zero Iowa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:55 am:

hi! I have the other side & door& back panel. I think they are Canadian as the door latch has square drive bolts in it. I also have a pair of touring sides but not very good Canadian. I will try to post pix I have a lot of trouble with pixs on this site always come out small.charley p.s. I have tried but I give up .I can e-mail to someone else .I would like to post a lot more pixs but I don't have the time left after all I am 71 now. see you at Chickasha.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:15 pm:

The previous owner was an American, who spent his summers in both countries. He had 4 left hand drive Model Ts including this LHD kitset but has recently had matrimonial complications and has had to "liquidate "his collection. My friend (Lets just call him Wayne) has bought the 1915 kitset plus all the parts that wern't bolted to the complete cars. He still has a 6m container of parts to bring home yet. He has enough panels for 2 roadsters at this stage, this set and some for a 21/25.

As for the green grass, that is fairly typical of domestic lawns here. We have only had snow here (Napier) once in my 60 years though they were forecasting some snow today in the high country of the south island.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:19 pm:

Charley,

99% of the cars here have been made in Canada. I have yet to see any without the creases. This panel has come from USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:32 pm:

Gavin,

I have a '22 Coupe that has a smooth transition and no crease. It is not the Roadster like you posted, but perhaps being from about the same period they were made similar.

These are old file photos that I have from when I restored my '22 Coupe. Most others were lost when my computer crashed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:01 pm:

I wish I could post pixs like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

body builders in the u.s.a. didn't use square drive. also mine has a left hand door. I just spent 15 min trying to load pixs !!!!!!!!!.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

I have taken another photo and added a couple of notes which may make my query a bit clearer.

and have had my profile gauge across the spot marked on the photo.

Has anyone seen a Ford T roadster with the easy transition rather than the crease ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:49 am:

ok I have been thinking again!!!!!!!!!!1913 roadster panels don't have the crease. this could be early 14 if so very rare !I have built about 300 bodies and not seen any like it.my panels are not the same still think mine are Canadian. Gavin could you post a pix of the door jam. thanks charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gavin Harris (Napier, NZ) on Monday, March 17, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

Charley,

sorry about the delay but this thread had disappeared from "last day" without me noticing your message. I don't have the panel here now and Wayne will be away for a week(motoring his CDO.) I will take the photo and post it when he gets back or maybe Wayne will read this and take the photo and post it himself instead.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration