OT - 1954 Anglo-American Car Tour Video

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - 1954 Anglo-American Car Tour Video
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

The 1954 tour begins in England.

Video:

http://bps.britishpathe.com/hls-vod/flash/00000000/00085000/00085535.mp4.m3u8

Cars such as Stanley, 1916 Pierce, 1913 Lozier, Stutz, Mercer, Rolls Royce, Lancaster and others participated on the 850 mile tour through Scotland and Britain.

Oldest car on the tour? A Ford Model K:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

Rally Programme cover...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:23 am:

The 1906 Model K roadster mentioned above was owned and driven on the rally by Elmer Bemis.

He owned at least two K Fords dusting his car collecting days. The roadster depicted above and the touring car in my garage.

Elmer was known to drive a K to Glidden Tours, participate in the tour, and then drive the car back home to Vermont.

Apparently, Elmer was either unaware of, or undeterred by, the K's many widely known deficiencies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:11 am:

Elmer Bemis was a Ford dealer here in Brattleboro, Vt. at least through the fifties', and was very active in the VMCCA.
He also used to do a bit of restoration work for others in his shop. Elmer is long gone but his old building is still in
use today, part of it is a service garage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:39 am:

It's actually a 1907 K gentlemen's roadster Tim, is it not? Great looking car, wish it was mine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:36 am:

Royce,
I would think with the problems you are having correctly identifying a car year you would have stayed away from challenging Elmer Bemis car's year.
We know from research at least one K Roadster was sold in 1906. And it took more than a five minute google search.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:17 pm:

Royce:

I too think Elmer's K roadster is greater looking. It would, however, clearly look better if it were in my garage.

As for the year, what causes you to question whether it's a 1906 or 1907 model?

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:25 pm:

Fenders and radiator don't look like 1906 Model K items. Rob, I asked Tim - if you have a clue please advise. If you are going to hurl insults you are not being a gentleman.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:16 pm:

Royce
I suggest you look in a mirror. If you see a "gentleman," drive on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:42 pm:

Here's a typical 1906 Model K. The roadster body style does not appear in 1906 Ford brochure, or the 1907 brochure for that matter:

Here's the picture of a 1908 Model K roadster from the 1908 catalogue. Perhaps the car in the picture is actually a 1908:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

There is a 1906 roadster, I think it may be car 107 a pre production car that would have the appearance that would continue until the end of model k production. I'm not sure how long the tall tank radiator was used but couldn't have been very long, changes seemed to happen fast in the 1906 year. The early cars aren't all like the very car in Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

what happened to Elmer's model k roadster, the video being in b&w, it looks like it was painted white?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Kelly on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

Royce:

I don't think it's possible to make a definative determination as to the year Elmer Bemis' Model K roadster was produced based upon the pictures readily available. I believe that one needs to see and touch the car. While there are many differences between the 1906 and 1907 models, the most defining characteristic would likely be the wheelbase. The 1906 chassis is shorter than the 1907 chassis.

Further, the fact that Elmer Bemis' car does not sport the early fenders nor the earliest radiator is in my opinion not determinative as to the year of production as the existing unrestored and relatively unmolested Model K with engine number 107 is a roadster and it sports fenders and a radiator like those on Elmer Bemis' roadster.

In light of the fact that Elmer Bemis was a Ford dealer as well as collector, I suspect that he had the knowledge to differentiate between a 1906 and 1907 Model K. So, until someone touches Elmer Bemis' roadster and reports the wheelbase, and maybe other defining characteristics, we'll have no basis upon which to question Elmer Bemis' representation that his roadster was and still is a 1906 model.

Timothy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:06 pm:

I agree the roadster has the characteristics of a 1907/08 roadster. However, I (like Tim) will defer to the late Elmer Bemis, until other information about the car surfaces.

Model K were available in many colors, and some advertising said any choice of color scheme, so I suspect even two colors. Many period photos of Model appear to show white or cream undercarriage and darker body and fenders. Descriptions of the roadster include "red devil" and other colors mentioned include gray, dark blue and dark green.

Of course, as with all early Fords, I expect we will continue to learn more as the digital age presents more and more publications, books and newspapers with descriptions and stories of these cars and the people who built, owned and operated them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:17 am:

Then there is this ultra rare 1902 Model K roadster:

Or, more likely, by 1921 knowledge of the "six Ford" was all but forgotten. The owner does say he "would not trade it for a new Pierce Arrow."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:17 am:

Mr Hayutin ran the tires off it, no doubt ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:38 am:

Roger,

I suspect it had one of the early style tires other than clinchers, so replacements were probably non existent.

Although I like the story that it "ran the tires off" too.

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Saunders on Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 04:41 pm:

Above is the cover of the Anglo American Vintage Car Rally of 1954. I have a copy here in front of me. In it are the specific details of Elmer's entrant car, the 1906 Ford Model K. I doubt if the details are substantially incorrect, so here they are verbatim: Car No 1, Date 1906 Ford Model K. Elmer K. Bemis, Brattleboro, Vermont. This is a beautifully preserved specimen of the model known as the 'Six Forty' Speedster which was in production at Detroit during 1906/7. It is fitted with a 40 h.p. six cylinder side valve engine of normal L head design but each cylinder is cast separately and the crankshaft has seven bearings. The engine is 'square', in other words the bore and stroke are identical at 4 1/2 inches. The car is fitted with the two-speed planetary gears and torque tube transmission which was later to become famous throughout the world by being adapted to the 'Model T' Ford. In the form the 'Model K' was claimed to be the first production car in America with a maximum speed of 60 mph. Mr Bennis also owns a touring version of the Model K in equally beautiful condition.

I live very close to Goodwood Historic Motor racing Circuit in England where the Anglo-American Vintage Car Rally of 1954 finished, and I work with 1920s Bentleys, so have an interest in finding out if this car still exists, and tracing it for a possible future event. let me know if you have any clues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 05:13 am:

Stephen,
Yes, it still exists although no longer toured. I'll check my notes and get back later today.
Rob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration