1914 front tapered spring questions...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1914 front tapered spring questions...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

Hello guys,

Getting my shopping list ready for Chickasha, and ran into a problem. I already knew I had one duplicate leaf in the front spring of my '14; but I just noticed a second wrong leaf.

Does anyone have the measurements of each individual leaf, for a 7 leaf front tapered spring? I want to double check what I have, and know for sure what I need.

Thanks in advance! See you at Chickasha (Look for the baby blue Studebaker Lark)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:19 am:

There might be some info on lengths in earlier posts but I couldn't find any among the top five search results, only a picture from the 1914 Ford parts book:
springs
(Originally posted by RV Anderson)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:39 am:

Dylan, a duplicate leaf will be the same length as one of the existing leaves. You say you have discovered a second wrong leaf. If you are talking about the leaf next to the main leaf with the shackle bushes, it is different to the rest of the leaves. It has cut/notched ends just like a later spring rather than the rounded ends of the tapered leaves. However, most of the ones I have seen do taper a little, so the leaf is not full thickness at the end like the later cut/notched ends.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:17 am:

Thanks Roger, didn't see that one!

Allan, it is indeed the same length of one I already have. I'll try to post a picture tonight of the parts I have. Since the spring has a mismatch of parts in it, and I have a few replacements to correct that; I want to know what I have and what I need.

The second "problem" leaf is indeed the one next to the main leaf, thanks for the info!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:03 pm:

I can give you what I got on my 15
Main leaf 33-1/2 to 34" (#7)
#6 32" with square ends
#5 27"
#4 23-1/2" with eyelets for the retaining clasp
#3 21"
#2 17"
#1 (top) 12"`
#1,2,3 and 5 are tapered #4 has eyelets and #6 has square ends.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dylan Thomas Wills on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:52 pm:

Perfect, thank you David!!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration