OT - but has to do with a car

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - but has to do with a car
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:57 am:

A friend sent me this and asked me what it was...I do not have a clue other than a guess...

A first 'hybrid'?

'Cook' stuff to generate a methane gas that somehow went to the intake manifold?

Waiting...anxiously...maybe I could build a Model T version?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:29 am:

Gas producer/gererator, run by burning charcoal, anthracite coal, coke, or under certain conditions, wood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A. J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:43 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:49 am:

Here is some more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas
They were heavily used during WW2 when no gasoline was available in many countries due to shipping blockades, but the downsides are many so all of them were put aside when gasoline was available again. I've said I'll build one when gas reaches $12 per gallon.. (it's $8.30 here now)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:49 am:

Is anyone still running a gas/charcoal burning car ?????
David

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:57 am:

There was a photo from North Korea in the wiki article, might be their only choice, plus I know there are a few enthusiasts here in Sweden:
http://www.vedbil.se/indexe.shtml
http://www.gengas.se/welcome_to_www_gengas_se.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:59 am:

Well thanks gang...that is pretty neat! I've never seen pictures or knew of it before....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:19 am:

Can even keep it Ford related.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:21 am:

.........or to make it T related---

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:14 am:

And here is a home made one from Down Under.

'Producer Gas' was used in stationary internal combustion engines from the late 1800's, especially in circumstances where other fuels were not readily available. During WW1 and again in WW2, gas producers were designed for automotive use because of shortage or rationing of petrol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:27 am:

There is a useful article on wood gas here-

http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2010/01/wood-gas-cars.html#more

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:27 am:

Relating to the recent accident with the 80 year old twins, gas generators were infamous for killing people by carbon monoxide poisoning when cars were garaged. For safety they had to first push the car outside, then start the generator, run it for a few minutes until it started produce a burnable gas, then start the engine. About as unpractical as a steam car, but a similar challenge for a technically inclined (slightly mad) enthusiast.. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:00 am:

Dad told me that the US Army experimented with them during WWII. He said that you would see them on the side of the road, with the drivers messing with the fire, whenever the convoy came to a hill.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:31 am:

In Sweden during WW2 roads were still quite bad, gravel roads outside every town, but that was good for the function of the gas generators - they had to be shook around a little to get new pieces of wood or coals into the gas generating zone. Wood had to be cut in small inch size pieces. In the US on smooth roads more problems would certainly arise. Nowadays a "shake the coals around" function should be able to build into the gas producer unit.

During the 1973 oil crisis the idea was lifted again by military authorities here for evaluation and some experimental units were made. Even rationing cards were distributed to car owners. Nothing was heard about the gas producers after oil deliveries started again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:47 am:

There is a large collection of Blaugaz powered cars and trucks in the basement of the Deutsche Museum in Munich. I spent a couple hours there, well worth a visit if you are in Munich. The museum is in many ways similar to the Smithsonian museum in Washington DC.

Wood gas is a poor substitute for gasoline. It was used because otherwise you walked. This sort of thing resulted in mass deforestation around major cities across Europe. It's a technology of desperation and sadness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:59 am:

Yep, sadness is what I feel about $8.30 per gallon but I won't reach desperation until $12 ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:47 am:

I've seen pictures like that before, but I've never seen that kind of unit in a WWII movie. It would be an added touch of realism production designers could use if they were aware of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:58 am:

Steve: the only place I've ever seen this is in a movie or documentary on WWII so I know it's been filmed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 12:13 pm:

I have a FEMA manual at home that tells you how to construct one of these in times of emergency using ordinary items found in hardware stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen, Severn MD on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:18 pm:

Steve,

There was a WWII spy movie that took place in Norway or some other Axis occupied country and there are shots of several cars with wood gas generator on the back like the photos show. I do not remember the name of the movie. Want to remember that it was in black & white made in the '50s...early '60s.
Anybody have an idea???

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:42 pm:

There's a guy currently running a Model T on a wood gasifier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krp6kgCiV7c

Also - another Model T a few years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cwICXpM25U

It's been previously discussed on the forum:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/219610.html?1309031543

Similar topic: Fords running on manufactured gas (coal gas):

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/185689.html?1296511015

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

What is the blower used for?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:42 am:

You need a fan to blow air into the generator when starting it up and to blow the gas to the engine to get the engine to start. If/When the engine starts, you can shut the electric fan off since the engine will suck the gas and thus generate the necessary flow through the generator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:25 am:

We must have led a real sheltered life in the USA, because seriously...this is the first time I ever saw a picture like this

Thanks for all the help on it.........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 03:09 am:

Germans used them in WW2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 10:47 am:

There was a Model A -- if I remember correctly -- running off a system like this at the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village a few years ago. I seem to remember seeing it on display but not running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 11:21 am:

So if you wanted to use 1 of these and get stock performance from a T,you would need to build the engine to produce 60 hp on gasoline and then it would be 20hp or so on wood gas?
Being we have wood rotting all around here,this would be a neat thing to try.
I would need to see better photos of the "Carb".
I wonder if it passes California emissions? :>)
Has anyone got specs as to how often you need to refuel? Doesnt look like it holds much wood.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration