Old Photo - Sporty Model "T" Roadster with a Coachbuilt Body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Old Photo - Sporty Model "T" Roadster with a Coachbuilt Body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:59 am:

The Station Garage – Christchurch, New Zealand: This Model "T" is only a small part of a fabulous garage scene in Christchurch, New Zealand. We have three
enlargements of this photo that allow you to see all of the very interesting details of this shop that offered “Aeroplane Construction and High Class Motor
Cars Repairs” What can you tell us about this car?? @ http://theoldmotor.com/?p=115617

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

Going through the New Zealand Nation Library are these two photos. It looks like it could be the same car to me, albeit with better looking wheels...

Date: ca 1918 From: Head, Samuel Heath, d 1948 :Negatives Ref: 1/1-007150-G View of a canvas topped Model T Ford, probably somewhere in Christchurch, ca 1918. Photograph taken by Samuel Heath Head. Quantity: 1 b&w original negative(s).

Date: [ca 1918] From: Head, Samuel Heath, d 1948 :Negatives Ref: 1/1-007274-G Photograph taken by Samuel Heath Head, Christchurch. Quantity: 1 b&w original negative(s). Physical Description: Dry plate glass negative, 6.5 x 8.5 inches

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:21 pm:

David, your two photos may be of the same car, but not the same as the first photo. Note the almost flat deck on the first turtledeck and the curve to the top of the door. That is a pretty looking roadster. I love the fenders. Great photo.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Greenlees on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:28 pm:

Allan: Yes the fenders are attractive, the other feature that is nice is the low windshield.

It does not appear to have been fitted with a top, at least at the time the photo was taken.

Hopefully someone will be able to ID the coach builder?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:27 pm:

Nice looking cars. Is the first one a boat tailed roadster?
I would love to have one or both of them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

John, I would consider it just a roadster. A true boat tail. A true boat tail has a flat lid and a pointed end like the prow of a boat. Many of the forum contributors describe speedsters with rounded rears as boat tails, but I call those bob tails.

My boat tail speedster has a wooden deck lid with polished planking highlighted with lighter wood inserts, just like a boat. It comes to a point at the rear, with sides integral with the body. If my son was here I could post a photo.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:53 am:

Great pick up Allan, missed that. Looking at the windscreen construction. door construction, hinging, beading on the turtledeck I am sure they are the same coachbuilder though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:32 am:

Here's a boat tail speedster:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration