Another odd fix/modification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Another odd fix/modification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:25 am:

Part of the upgrades on my colonial bodied 1924 Tarrant special tourer was the fitment of 4.40 x 23" balloon oversize tyres. They were still BE tyres, fitted on standard T clincher rims, so had to run appropriately high pressures. Consequently, they hardly made any difference to the ride, but may have added marginally to braking efficiency.

This size is no longer available from the usual suppliers, so I was quite pleased to find an as new Olympic tyre which matches the tread on the ones on the car. It was fitted to a T wheel with the standard loose lugs common to our Canadian sourced cars. However, it was mounted on a split rim, as it is a straight sided tyre like those fitted on later Chevs before they went to 21" tyres. No matter. It will still suit my T and I can wear it out just the same.

Today I cleaned off the rust and old paint prior to repainting the rim silver to match the others. To my surprise I found that someone had gone to a lot of trouble to beat both sides of a beaded edge rim into a straight sided rim, cut it and fitted a locking mechanism, and then mounted the straight side tyre onto it. This is one modification I have never seen before.

Just for interest.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:42 pm:

Interesting!
Amazing what people could do way back then.
Thank you for sharing this!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:03 pm:

Lot easier to use rims off a "dreaded word" car ( spell that Chevrolet).
a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:42 pm:

You are right Layden. All a T owner would have to do is drill a new valve hole in a Chev rim. I was not aware that the straight sided rims on Chevs were promoted as updates/ replacements for those years. It would have made sense to do the same for Fords.

The Chev BE rims which preceeded these are a little wider than T rims. With a re-drilled valve hole, my son uses them with 4.40 tyres on his 10 cwt T lorry.They suit the heavier looking commercial vehicle.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:01 pm:

Actually hardly anyone would have used the straight sides in the old days to replace clinchers due to the price difference. 30 x 3 1/2 clinchers were so competitive that the straight side may have cost twice as much.
Another good example is 6.00-20 tires, they were a very common size and very competitively priced. You could get a 6 ply 6.00-20 truck tire for 2/3 the price of a 5.25-20 4 ply car tire! Guess why 4 cylinder Dodges are usually seen in period pictures with slightly large tires? Few of the 21" Dodge disc wheels survived compared to the 20" because Dodge owners with 21s would go to the wrecking yard and get a set of 20s which bolted right on and use cheap strong and longer lasting truck tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 04:24 am:

Allan, what are "BE" rims? I don't have a clue as to what that stands for. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 04:40 am:

Beaded edge? Beaded edge tyres is the british/australian term for clincher tires.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration