Are There More T's Than We Know?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Are There More T's Than We Know?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:31 am:

NASA has announced that, using the Kepler Space Telescope, they have discovered 715 planets orbiting 305 stars. Of these 4 are in the so called "Goldilocks Zone", meaning they are the right size the right distance from their star to support life.

Given the infinite nature of the universe, could there be more T's out there than we know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:37 am:

Yes. But you don't have to go to other planets. There are more than you know about right in your own county.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:55 pm:

I occasionally find one in the back yard I didn't know I had.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Micheal Crowe on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:24 pm:

In Hutchinson KS they come out of the woodwork?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

It would be nice if there were a way to document exactly how many surviving genuine Model T's there are in the world, country by country. When I say genuine, I mean T's like we prefer them. Ones that look like, smell like, sound like, run like and drive like Model T's the way Henry designed them, which include acceptable modification like distributors, brake modifications and transmission modifications, but leave the basic design features intact, so they are still Model T's as we define them. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:26 pm:

Jim,

I think that task would be like taking census of a herd of cats. :-) A true count would probably be a surprise though. About 40 years ago when I was collecting parts (on a limited budget) to build by first T, I was amazed at the number of original cars I found by word of mouth close to where I lived. I couldn't afford to buy even one at that time. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Hycner on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:39 pm:

I think the number of existing T's is way more than anyone thinks.
When getting my first one two years ago I drove almost 1,700 miles round trip. A few weeks later I had it outside and and a guy stops in to see it. He invited me to his place to look at his "car", turns out he has 27, yes 27 T's that are restored and drivable, a couple A's and a few odd ball others. He likes to keep the collection quiet and driving by one would never know it's there. Turned out to be a real nice guy and we get together often.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:14 pm:

Jim...yep, sounds just like a fella I've known through work for over 20 years. Back then (retired now) he never once mentioned anything about any of 'em. He's apparently staying low key about them. Well, one day last summer I caught wind that he has "a couple" so I called him to pick his brain. ..."yes, I have a couple, and most are in project stage"...ok I said, and we talked for an hour. Come to find out at a gas station filling up after a car show, a friend of his was at the next pump, admiring my car, mentioned this same fella, and how...he's got somewhere around 20 or more!!!
So yes, there's plenty more T's out there we don't even know about!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

Isn't there a gentleman down south somewhere east of St Louis that has about 200?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Karl Gilchrist on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

Actually mathematically as the universe is infinite then the chance of there being a planet exactly the same as ours (not to mention others exactly the same but with more T's ) is 100% certain. -Karl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

I know a farmer who has some Model T parts. He knows a guy who has 50 Model Ts. The owner is wealthy yet he sleeps in his car by the road to guard this collection that never gets driven. Nearly all Ts I've seen are non running dust collectors. Yep, lots of cars left but few are being used which is why I will never own more than two of these cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Thank you, Karl. That's what I thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 09:43 pm:

I've got some Model T's. Well I've got two. Does that qualify as "some"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:09 pm:

When traveling across the USA in 2008 and 2011 I lost count of the number of people who came up to us when we were parked somewhere who claimed that they had one or more Model T's at home.

When quizzed it appeared that they did actually have them. Several showed photo's of them.

Only a hand full belonged to a club or used the car and most if not all were complete cars.

On my experience I would think that there are probably way more still in existence than we would think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:28 pm:

Here's what I've been told:

There are 250,000 Model T Fords, worldwide, in condition varying from pristine restoration to piles of rust.

In the United States, there are 60,000 intact Model T Fords in running and non-running condition.

The insurance company I use, Hagerty, has about 5,000 Model T Fords on its roles, including hot-rods.

In my neighborhood (and let's call it a ten-mile radius), there are at least six Model T Fords, five of which are brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:36 pm:

There are always cars that have not seen the light of day in decades. While my grandmother was ill her neighbor paid a visit and I remember from when I was a kid that he had a t. I asked if he still had it, he said yes but he cant really work on it anymore( hes in his late 80s) and said the engine was rebuilt 15 years ago but was still tight and he never finished putting it back together. I now have another project which takes me full circle, I remember rides in this car from when i was about only five. He wants me to button it up and take it out! There are tons of t's, everywhere!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:58 pm:

A neighbor and friend has a '23 roadster sitting in his shed just in front of his '26 Dodge Sedan. He said the Dodge runs good but the roadster needs coils and "you just can't find those anymore." I always just agree with him. His children aren't interested and he's old enough to think he's long past the age of doing anything with them. So I'm like a vulture sitting on a limb above his house just waiting for that opportunity to swoop in at the last minute and give him a "fair" offer on it. One mile straight east of the '23 touring is a '17 touring that runs but the guy doesn't know where to find parts to "fix it up". Every once in awhile I ask him if that old piece of junk is still running. I've got a standing offer on it that will someday certainly sound fair to his poor widow. Why does this all seem to sound and feel so morbid to me?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

I drive one of my Ts into town every morning. Like some have said above I am often getting people that walk up to me and want to sell a T that they inherited. I drove my 16 down to Hygiene, Colorado for coffee Monday. While I was in the coffee shop a lady came up to me and said her mother has a 1922 Coupe that she wants to sell. Her dad had died and the mother wants to sell. I gave her my email address and told her I would place an add in the MTFCA classified section and also the Denver News letter. She is supposed to send me all the information on the coupe and a picture. A while back a guy in Estes Park came up to me and said he had a 26 Touring he wants to sell. It goes on and on guys wanting to sell inherited Ts.

Ts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:00 am:

I found my TT in a barn 8 miles away. No one knew it was there. I worked with the owners cousin. He told me for a year to come look at it because his cousin wanted to sell it. This is what I found. I bought it on the spot. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:08 am:

My guess is that most of them never leave the garage because the poor brakes scared the owner one too many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:49 am:

The reason that the one I talked got put up was that the owner took it up mt greylock in ma, the steep side and burned up the front main and first rod. The engine went out for rebuild but he got sick during the process. I did tell him that there are great new oilers to stop it from happening and he really wants to drive it again! Some people just need some help, or want someone to work with in the garage, no one in their family shows interest and when someone does I bet it makes them feel nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:54 am:

When hunting Model A stuff you had do get past the Model T's first. I know I could have bought 100 of them over the last 10 years.
So what do you do...I started buying Model T's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:04 am:

Pat - that is a beautiful truck!!! Great find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Spencer Vibert on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

Hey Dave I know of a bunch of early brass t's in northampton ma and they are for sale

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:16 pm:

Omg! I would love to buy all the brass model t fords that I could! But, Im thirty, married within the last year and I keep hearing words about baby this and baby that! But really, we all need to do everything we can to get people who have these cars out on the road. yeah they are slow and the brakes suck, but jeez these cars are fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:41 pm:

David,At 25 or 30 mph my brakes do very well!Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:20 pm:

Well suck is a relative term, should have said suck in comparison to modern cars. Driven properly, the brakes work ok....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:24 pm:

When people my age inherit a really old car, if they can get it to run, just cant grasp the reason they don't drive like any other car. When driven properly they work and drive the way they were intended to.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration