AA wire wheels adapted to the rear of TT. How did you do it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: AA wire wheels adapted to the rear of TT. How did you do it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 01:25 pm:

I want to put AA wires on the rear of my TT doodlebug. I have the wires. I have several old rear TT hubs. I don't have any AA hubs yet. I know there will be machine work required. Can either AA front or rear hubs be used to make the change? I'm assuming I will be starting out with the rear TT brake drum and hub minus the spokes and piece that slides over the hub to bolt spokes to hub and drum. Thank you for any info and if anyone has a set of adapted hubs let me know. I'm going to get this done one way or another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 03:37 pm:

I have 2 AA hubs. If I aint mistaken they will fit the TT axle.I have not tried them
I had planned to put a set of AA rims on the rear of a Ton truck and car wires on the front for a future project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

Thank you Mack! I wondered if the AA rear hub would slide right on the TT with no problem. I thought the AA would have a bigger axle. I hope they do fit but since I don't have AA hubs yet, I won't find out for awhile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:04 pm:

Well, If I think about it I can try 1 and let you know as I have 8 or so TT rear ends laying around.Everything but a driveshaft,so cant start that other TT project till I have that.:>(
Got the houseing,but someone musta made a pry bar out of the drive shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:04 pm:

Now bear in mind that would be the early 28 AA,later 1's had a different setup entirely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

I was going to do the same thing. My plan, which I haven't thought out too well, was to use a complete AA rear end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:38 am:

Michael,
Sorry I have been tardy in responding to your message. The AA rear hubs won't work well on the TT rear end because the brake drum is much different. I don't use the AA rear end because I want a Ruckstell and the AA rear end uses cantilever rear springs, entirely different than the TT, requiring major headaches to convert. Here's how I make the conversion. I use the inner part of the TT wood wheel hub and the brake drum. You will need the front hubs for the AA wire wheels. I knock out the bearing races and bore the hub out on the lathe so it slips nicely over the TT hub. You need a lathe with at least ten inch swing. I also use part of the AA brake drum with the brake surface cut off so it is just a disc. It provides a needed spacer which hides an awkward looking gap when the hub is assembled. I put all the parts together and tack weld them to hold them temporarily. Then you have to punch the AA five lug pattern through the TT hub and drum. This is tricky because the AA bolt circle goes right through the edge of the TT hub. Drills don't like that. I have made many sets with a big drill press but now I use a milling machine and it is much smoother. Then put the right size studs in the holes and tack weld them in from the back side. When the wheel is bolted on the studs hold everything together firmly and the tack welds only keep things together when you have the wheel off. This conversion will not interfere with Rocky Mtn. brakes. I have made many sets of these and have logged over ten thousand miles on my TT with my first set, most with a load in the dump bed. I can make a set for you or sell you the AA hubs you need. The correct hub caps for the AA wheels are the hardest parts to find. I have none left. You can make them out of A caps. Hope this helps.
Fordially, Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael R Beary on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:01 am:

Eric,
Can you let me know the cost for a set ready to mount? No reason to waste time looking for AA hubs if you have everything on your end. Send me your address so I can mail payment. If your short of TT hubs and drum I can ship you mine, If you have enough on hand then figure them into conversion. I've been wanting to do this since seeing your thread on "ole Dumpy" several years ago. Thank you, Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

1928 AA worm drive axles are the same as the Model TT except that they are slightly longer. I have seen the AA hubs used on the TT's but never used them myself. Budd and one other company (that I can't remember right now), also made hubs to adapt their steel wheels to the TT. These others had a 5 and 6 bolt pattern.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:58 pm:

My 2 AA hubs came from a TT rear axle that had my dump bed on the half chassis.5 lug pattern.
I guess I need to dig out my 2 hubs and check them over

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration