OT - Do you use this T era tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Do you use this T era tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:49 pm:

I'll stick with it as long as I can still get the blades.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:52 pm:

I gave up the hoe and started using a mower about thirty years ago. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 05:55 pm:

I used to use it and still have it, but don't use it any more. Mines not brass, but steel.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:01 pm:

I don't use it, but I stall have the predecessor to that one, my grandfathers straight edge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:08 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:22 pm:

Mine looks like this. Haven't used it in 2 weeks.

I bet you like Spike Jones and the City Slickers too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

When I remodeled one of the bathrooms in my former house, I removed the medicine cabinet and the wall was full of old double edge razor blades that prior owners had slipped through the little disposal slot.

You think they're gone forever, but nooo.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 06:45 pm:

This is a good reminder that the simplest works best and lasts the longest.

Rick the Pawn Stars guy is now selling this style of razor. From the advertisement it looks well made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:11 pm:

Why? Razors are like a lot of things, they have progressed. I still use cup soap and brush but throw away razors. I scraped my face up plenty with those old double edge till something better came along! KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 07:13 pm:

I used one of these until the 1970's or 1980's, it was GI Issue, never gave a minute's trouble, got so good blades were hard to find, I think I was using Gillette Blue Blades or some such the last several years. I went the whole bit, used a mug and a brush, but it worked better than the spray can stuff. I went to College late in life, on the GI Bill, and lived for awhile in a Fraternity House, it was cheap. The younger tenants marveled at my shaving apparatus and the razor, most had never seen one, and if they borrowed it to try it out, they invariably would cut themselves. A dear friend, now deceased, served in WW1, not 2, and still shaved every day with his Issue Gillette. He had been gassed in the Great War, and bless his heart, suffered with it till he died. His Gillette had a number embossed on it, a serial number I suppose, but look as I might, I never found a number on mine, wish I still had it, but it and my Zippo lighter have long ago disappeared somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

I have a stainless steel USN straight razor, I keep in mind every time I use it that I have a KNIFE to my face. It's the type that uses replacement blades, and the lady who cuts my hair orders them in for me. Cost now is over 1.00 per blade. I have never cut my face, but once using my thumb to clean off the soap cut my finger. Three weeks of painful use of that didget. When not in a hurry, and I want a close shave, NOTHING else comes close. The next week I pay hell with a couple of ingrown hairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:23 pm:

I got all you guys beat, I learned to shave with a straight razor and had to use it for years. I also had to use the big brush that were used to put soap on your face.

picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

Yeah, we got a guy, lives down the street, shaves with a single bitted axe. I use a double bitter. I lather up with Grandmas lye soap. Just like brothers Herman and Therman. Of course y'all know they had an aversion to washin' their ears. Grandma scrubbed em out with lye soap and they haven't heard a word for years. So sing right out for Grandmas lye soap, good for everything in the place. The pots and pans, the dirty dishes, for your hands and for your face. But I digress...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:31 am:

I just drive 'em in with a hammer and bite them off inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 01:14 am:

Never in my life.
I never had a death wish.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 03:00 am:

I have one that was issued to my GPaw in 1917.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 04:31 am:

Prefer that type of razor, but blades are now impossible to find, so had to move to a unit with small double blades in a holder, the holder and blades could be disposed, but the handle retained. Now even those are disappearing, so it looks like I'll have to move to the 'throw the whole thing away' style soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 04:56 am:

I have a brass safety razor just like the one in Steve's picture, but haven't used it for years since it's so easy and convenient to use the cheap twin blade plastic disposable razors from a cheap pack of ten.. I can use one of them for months since I'm careful with cleaning and drying the blades. It's not the use that dulls blades as much as corrosion and a dry clean blade corrodes slower.

I wonder if there ever was a twin blade razor made for the standard Gilette type blades?

Blades are made in China as so (too) much of everything we use today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10Pcs-Razor-Hair-Cutting-Shaving-Sharper-Thinning-Knife- Double-Edge-Blades-BG4U-/321290481311

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Wicker on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:44 am:

Were Zippo lighter Army issue also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:09 am:

I still use a double edge Gillette Razor. It is not quite as old as yours, but it is over 40 years old. I used a Norelco triple electric razor until I could not get new blades for it, because of a change in technology. I went back to the Gillette. It is easier to use now anyway, because I only shave if I am going somewhere so sometimes I go for several days without a shave.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:17 am:

Do any of you guys remember seeing anyone (or doing it yourself) sharpen a double edge blade in a glass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:46 am:

Dane's comment has me thinking I'd better do with blades what I did with light bulbs: lay in a supply that's likely to outlast me. That's what you have to do with a product you like, because eventually when you ask for it you'll get only blank stares from people who have never heard of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:52 am:

My Son uses one and I'm debating getting one myself. I've seen the blades in grocery stores here so that's not a problem. I just haven't seen the razor itself anywhere local. I have seen Rick's commercial but it kills me paying the darn postage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:50 pm:

"Do any of you guys remember seeing anyone (or doing it yourself) sharpen a double edge blade in a glass?"

SOP, just use lots of water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Sumerall - Athens, AL on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:32 pm:

This morning I used an old Gem single edge razor. Thankfully the blades are still available if you know where to look. They shave very close but you have to angle it a bit differently than you would with a double edge. These razors date back to the teens. Gem Single Edge Razor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 04:03 pm:

Long ago when my daughter was about two she had to do everything daddy dis including shaving, i used a throw away and i couldn't let her have a blade so i found one of these old safety razors and in the morning she would climb up onto her stool and i would lather her up ,her Santa Claus face, and she would follow me stroke for stroke with HER razor with no blade, it would scrape the soap off and she was shaved, another funny time with my kid.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grady L Puryear on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 05:45 pm:

I still remember so very well the Rite of Passage in shaving with a straight razor. I still have a couple around somewhere, but I could never get up the nerve to go through with it. All the men used one of course so I was looked down on as being cowardly, which I was.

Part of life in the day of the Straight Razor was the Razor Strap, or Strop. I have gotten my tail walloped a time or two with one, the worst part was having to go get it and bring it to the Administrator for walloping. We had to go and get a switch too for the Ladies, so you just couldn't win.

I had one Uncle that could lather up and completely shave with just a very, very few strokes, and never cut himself. I swear I think his whiskers were made out of wire, you could almost hear them go "plink" as he shaved.

Someone in the family took pity on me and drug up one of the WW1 Issue Gillettes, so that was what I broke out on and used until not too long ago, have skin cancers so bad I have to use an electric, it is OK but doesn't shave very close, but I am not girl hunting anymore anyway.

To answer Mr. Wicker's question, No, I never knew of Zippos being an Item of Issue, they were cheap at the PX, and Av Gas made a wonderful lighter fluid, you could fill up for free when you drained the sumps during a Pre Flight.

I could write a book about Zippos that I had and their points of wear, they were all alike, and if you kept one long enough, the chrome or nickel would wear off and you would have a shiny brass one.

There was a time when you could get your Service Ribbons put on your lighter, haven't seen one of those in a very long time, kind of like your Dog Tags, didn't mean much at the time, but would like to have them back. Some of the Troops would be stationed close to some Natives that could engrave stuff, and had some beautiful lighters.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:54 pm:

When I went in the army the Drill Sargent asked me if I had shaved that morning, I said no (there was nothing to shave) The next morning I received one of those dreadful things and was forced to shave while the Sargent watched, cut myself 4 times! After that I made a big show every morning of lathering up my face and then removing the lather (I had removed the blade) I did this all through boot camp and no one knew the difference and I was the only one who could pass the stocking test the first time. Couldn't even grow a go tee until I was 45!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:56 pm:

I stopped using one 30 years ago.... No telling how much money I've saved on toilet paper.... Some of you will get this some may not. ;~)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:18 pm:

I used a straight razor exclusively until 9/11. I do a lot of flying and don't check baggage so I could no longer travel with my razor. Now I can only use it at home, not on the road. Used with a good badger brush and a cake of Williams Shaving Soap there is no better shave. Double edge disposable blades may be convenient but second rate at best! I forgot to mention that a nice hot towel to soften your beard makes every shave, regardless of the razor, better.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:38 pm:

Sometime in 1976 we were cutting up a compleat V-8 engine line.I was cutting one of the [Hones]and a pocket of mineral seal caught fire and burned my face! It was not that bad but my beard had to be cut off.That was the last time i shaved and i have no intention of ever starting again!Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:55 pm:

Steve, that particular style and color razor was issued to my father during WW-II in a small kit. It was stores separated for some reason in that kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Klem on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:16 pm:

Gettin' this thread sorta back to T's & cars. How many of you miss the good ol' Glass Wax that was solvent based and really cleaned your windows. Couldn't find it for years, then bought a case of it at the local flea market for a buck a can. No smears, no streaks, ahh old technology :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:36 pm:

Found these 45 years ago in an abandoned general store upstate New York .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Erfert on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

A friend of mine's dad used one all the time and had a blade sharpener that he would use that sharpened the double edged blades. Don't know how long he used the blades but they were sharp and could be used over and over. I finally stopped using a Gillette single edged blade when they quit selling them several years ago, they were the best and stayed sharp as long as all the soap was washed off each time. May go back to them if I could find them at a reasonable price. Still have one in the original dispenser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:55 am:

Anyone ever use these blades?
I saved the last wrapper.
Sputnik blade wrapper

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:09 am:

Anybody remember the injector blade commercial that got Henry Morgan in trouble?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 04:55 am:

Carl Klem, I remember using Glass Wax on my '55 Chevy in the late '60's. It worked very well. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

There is an info'mercial that has been on in the last month selling the old style razor that uses the double blade. Sales are down on razors in the US, too many people growing beards.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration