How many here own a T from another country?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How many here own a T from another country?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

I was wondering how many Canadians on this forum own an American Model T like I do and how many Americans own a Canadian one. I have a friend who has an American '26 Runabout yet all the other cars I've seen here are Canadian made. At the Old Car Festival in Michigan, I only saw one Canadian T and it was a Canadian who brought it there. Do some of you collectors have a car from the other country just because it makes your collection more interesting? What about you guys in countries like Austrailia where the supply came from Canada? I'm guessing there are plenty of American cars there. Any reason you just had to have one from elsewhere?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:15 pm:

Hi Dave,

I don't have a Canadian T but would like to have a touring. That way I could tell onlookers that I own a deluxe Model T. Mine has 4 doors! Seriously it would be neat to have one.

I'll drop you a PM in a few days. I also have a 1919 roadster and would like to compare features. Your roadster looks super. I need to find time to check and write down questions I have. Hope you don't mind.

Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Borland. Bathurst. NSW. Australia. on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:35 pm:

I have two Canadian, does that count?

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:51 pm:

I have one Canadian 'T' too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Partington on Thursday, February 27, 2014 - 11:56 pm:

I've got two from Canada a 23 TT and a 25 Dalgety Geelong pick up and one half US & dispatched out of Canada 1912 touring plus my Wikner Ford Special that is one third US one third Canada and one third Australian.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:06 am:

A 26 Canadian Fordor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:18 am:

1912 van engine no B517 US?? 5 other Canadians, and one USA tudor.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare - Just a little South West . on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:50 am:

I have never driven a RHD T ... ever, l have 3 lefties(USA)
David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:47 am:

I have had a RHD centerdoor for over 20 years - wouldn't know how to drive a LHD model.
Freezing here in Wisconsin...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin in South Africa on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:53 am:

I have a Canadian '13 Touring and our family has a Canadian '12 runabout with mother in law seat.
Justin
South Africa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TOM on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:00 am:

I have always wondered if you sell your Model T to someone in a non-English speaking country, and the Model T becomes uncooperative, and the new owner looses their patience, starts to curse at it. Will the Model T understand it? LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:18 am:

I think they're like cats - they understand regardless of language - but don't care :-)

My projects were assembled out of parts from maybe 50 T's, collected over almost 30 years from all over Sweden and USA. The parts found in Sweden may originally have been built into cars in the Copenhagen factory out of parts from England and USA. My latest project inspired by the Detour Deluxe from Montana also has a large content of recently grown Swedish pine:

wood heap

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jared Buckert on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:27 am:

As far as I know, my car is entirely American. I would like to put one Canadian hubcap on it though. Give people who pay attention something to scratch their heads about. Too bad all I find are American ones and you have to buy repop Canadian hubcaps by four.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:58 am:

We have a 1913 Canadian touring that was imported into NJ from Ontario in the 1970s. I've had to relearn what is correct for a 1913 when dealing with the Canadian differences. It has been fun doing the research though, but finding some of the unique parts including sheet metal has been a challenge at times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:04 am:

I should have known it was a mistake to invite the Austrailians to post, their such a bunch of jokers. No your Canadian cars don't count :-). Lots of interesting responses here, keep em coming. I think I would like to have a Canadian Coupe one day to join my American Runabout. Dennis, I would very much like to see some PMs regarding your 1919.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:10 am:

There is a RHD 4DR sedan (made in Canada) not to far down the road from me. I have been trying to buy it for years. Two old sisters apparently own it and have no idea what it is. (They think it is a 1912) I have about given up on it.
I think they also have marbles missing upstairs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:19 am:

Sometimes even parts coming from the same country has all sorts of issues when I try to join them.. Had many issues when I joined a turtle deck from Virginia with a roadster body from California - both were improved model but the holes wouldn't match the nuts in the body even after a lot of grinding - had to move the nuts. Maybe one was '26 and the other one '27 production or maybe standardisation wasn't as good in Ford's body production as in the mechanical parts?

Oh well, now I remember what the machinist told me when he bored out my early improved block - the bores weren't perpendicular to the crank plane, it differed almost 0.030 between top and bottom in all the cylinders. So Ford really had some quality issues during improved car production (but the engine had ran with that misalignment.. I wonder how good?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:31 am:

There's a French-bodied Touring in Temecula.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:42 pm:

I'm in Alberta and I have a '27 Cdn 2 door and a what I believe is a '25 US (touring).
FWIW, I bought the Cdn car in B.C. and the US car in Saskatchewan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 12:45 pm:

Englishman with an ex-California '26 Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jamie Holmes on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 01:35 pm:

I have a 1915 American runabout with a Canadian intake manifold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 01:38 pm:

Dutchman with two from OHIO USA
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:52 pm:

Way South of the MD with a 25 Canadian RHD Roadster Pickup. How about them apples??? Dan

Oh, by the way it is 60 deg F here today!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 03:03 pm:

Them are big apples Dan. Any knowledge of how and when it got there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 03:12 pm:

I have two. A Canadian 26-7 roadster (Hayes wire wheels) and a Canadian 27 coupe, which I have driven to 48 states in the U.S.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ernie Spittler on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 04:44 pm:

I have a 1911 Canadian touring. It was brought to Hershey by a Canadian Subaru dealer and sold to the man that I bought the car from a few years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 05:44 pm:

I'm in Ontario Canada, and have a '15 touring :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 05:47 pm:

I should add Dave, I'm not far from you. I'm in Woodstock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darren J Wallace on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 05:48 pm:

I used to own a 1926 roadster I dragged home from Janesville Wisconsin in 2000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

Darren, hopefully I will meet you at an event sometime. Did you sell your '26 to a man named Garth? If so, I know him and have seen the car. A nice one it is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:17 pm:

Dave: I got it from CA, was told it came from NZ. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Nelson - Eastern Iowa on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:15 pm:

I have a Canadian '26 Touring, drivable, but not finished.
Gene
Iowa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 02:40 am:

This is our Canadian built 1924 Fordor Sedan . Few Fordor's were imported to Australia and few have survived.

Regards, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

I believe my '26 Touring was built in Copenhagen, but I have no solid evidence. Sold new in Norway, and that was in the marketing area for the Danish plant.
Roger Karlsson, wasn't there Ts built in Sweden also?
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Markham on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 04:54 pm:

I have a model t C cab delivery pie wagon made in Canada,it says Daisy's Pie Wagon on the side

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 05:17 pm:

Thanks for all the great responses. Looks like a lot more Canadian cars went to the U.S. than the other way around. John Page, your Fordor looks beautiful.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 05:46 pm:

Roar - the Swedish Ford factory in Stockholm wasn't operative until 1930, so there weren't any T's built there.

factory

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ross Benedict - Calgary, Alberta on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:14 pm:

I have a Canadian T, I live in Canada, but, the unique aspect of this T is that it was exported to New Zealand, Restored in the 80's and eventually returned to Canada. The RHD is a good crowd stopper in itself. I agree with David . . "wouldn't know how to drive a LHD model". Spark and throttle are reversed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:41 pm:

Here is a site I found about production

http://www.carhistory4u.com/the-last-100-years/special-reportsstudies/model-t-fo rd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Streblow on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:58 pm:

I have a Canadian '24 TT C Cab

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 03:28 pm:

Ross, that's something I did not expect. I'd say that counts here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 04:45 pm:

My dad owns a '23 Canadian coupe; an unrestored, running, driving survivor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:21 pm:

Got a 1927 Canadian Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:51 pm:

Thank you for the compliment Dave on our Fordor. Your Runabout looks pretty terrific as well. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Holland, Utah on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

I have a 1911 Canadian Radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:44 pm:

Thanks, Roger!
Is it safe to assume then, that Model Ts sold in Sweden after the Copenhagen plant went into production, were Made on the other side of Íresund?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:30 am:

Roar, I'm not sure, maybe some of them came directly from USA? Could also have been returning swedish-americans who brought some of the late cars found here with US. specifications?

I've read about 1932 Fords found here - they're both of the english bodied types and the US types, so in 1932/33 when the Swedish assembly plant was active both styles seems to have been sold here by Ford dealers. (the last 1932 style Ford was built in 1934 by the Copenhagen factory, I think - the market went down so fast in the depression so I guess they had loads of body parts left by the end of the '32 model year they had to build bodies from - couldn't just scrap them and retool for the '33 - they went to the '34 model directly I think.)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration