Exhaust shields

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Exhaust shields
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:35 am:

all- after taking a look at Gene's car from the brake forum thread, I see he has a shield for the exhaust made from apparent dryer vent. I think I might do the same. That gas line so close to the exhaust is a bit scary. Anybody here do the same or fabricate any other shield? is it even worth it? At least it could be a drip shield while refueling....

thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:57 am:

My car has header wrap on the exhaust in the area under the floorboards and near the fuel line, but no other shielding - so far I have not had any problems with vapor lock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:39 am:

I suspended a piece of sheet aluminum between the floor board and exhaust pipe. Auto manufacturers do this to shield floor boards from the catalytic converter heat. This topic was discussed on a 2012 or 2013 thread.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:36 am:

I have never seen a T with so much going on underneath! The more I look, the more I see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:41 am:

You don't hear about them going up when fueling very often, (at least I haven't), but it's always on my mind.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:33 pm:

Ya Dale, That's what I said when I saw the pic.

During the Nebraska tour I measured the floorboard temp under my wife's feet. It was 130 F. No wonder she had her feet up on the coil box. A long time ago I removed the engine splash pan on the passenger/exhaust side to allow the engine heat to go out the bottom. This helps a lot with an early car with no hood louvers.

Besides wrapping the exhaust pipe and "dryer vent" diffuser. I have some alum fabric attached to the bottom side of the floorboards.

I think a good idea is attaching a piece of sheet metal to the underside of the floorboards with an insulator gap so you get some air flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leonard J Evansic on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:25 pm:

A good place to find thin aluminum is at the supermarket where the special occasion pie and roasting pans are sold. It can be folded over and the more layers you have the better insulation.---Len

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration