Model K List of Known Survivors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Model K List of Known Survivors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:20 am:

This is mainly a question for Rob

I read in another Post that 19 Model K's are known to exist.

How about a List of Known Survivors --List of Names and Locations & Years
My reason is that maybe the members of the Forum can add to "Your List".
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:49 am:

Don,

Carl Pate's book, "Pate's Early Ford Encyclopedia" lists a total of 23 known Model K. It lists seventeen 1907/08 and six 1906 cars as "known." I believe there are two additional cars not included in the count. A conservative estimate is 23-25, with 5 known engines and a few other pieces spread around the globe.

We are fortunate to own an extra engine, so if anyone comes across any frame or running gear pieces, I know a great home for them.

:-)

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 11:58 am:

Don,

I should add, there is another "list" that was compiled by a gentleman I consider the foremost expert on existing Model K cars. Unfortunately, he is in declining health, and requested his "list" never be made public for obvious security reasons. He compiled his list in the 1980s, and many of those cars have changed hands, some several times, since the list was put together.

I would certainly be happy to take any reports about known Model K and keep a confidential list if anyone would like to send information on any "out there." Carl Pate, Hap Tucker, Trent Boggess, Kim Dobbins, Tim Kelly, Don Watson (:-)) would be other good contacts to share information about existing cars if anyone would like to document survivors, but would rather share the information with someone other than me.

I wouldn't be surprised to find a few more in existence as cars come out of mothballs all the time, and we have the luxury of living in the Information Age.

Thanks,

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:18 pm:

Rob you may remember me a good while back about knowing a guy back in the late 70's having a Model K.
I never saw the car but the owner was a successful business owner and had a collection of several old cars.
He was a friend of Marion Finley who happened to be was another old car enthusiast who I was friends with.
The K owner was Carl Binner (not sure on the last name spelling) who I would see from time to time at Mr Finleys shop where he would ask for advice about the K.
Mr Binner lived somewhere around West,TX and was in his 50's at the time I remember seeing him in the 70's.
He always talked about the big 6 cylinder Ford he had that was older than Mr Finleys 13 T Touring.

Just wonder if Binners name is on the K registry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 02:51 pm:

John,

Yes, it shows up as a dark green roadster. It also appears to be the second "newest" Model K known with a 95X motor number. According to the early list it may have originally been red.

I don't know where it is now.

Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

Is Francis Ransley's Model 'K' from the display in Wynyard, Tasmania, Australia on the list?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:25 pm:

Rob, Do you know where this one is now? I took the photo in 1983 in Richard Williams garage in Detroit.
modK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Watson -Florence,Colorado on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Peter,
I believe this is the one in Lynchburg,VA

How about showing us the Other Cars at Dick Williams Garage
-Don

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:07 pm:

Don, Will have to find the photo's, that was before the days of Digital so I will have to do some scanning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

I would love a new book, not just on model ks but all early ford including the early t. A nice new book with perhaps two pages showing each known car with a nice history for each. I'm sure that if pressed owners would at least let their cars be photographed. Added with all the recent history that Rob has spent so much time researching, he deserves a book of his own!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

Is the one at Pioneer Village counted? Bud in Wheeler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

David,
I believe Carl Pate is working on a second, or updated book on early Fords. His current book is a great "coffee table" book in a very attractive cover. He includes a DVD that has much more information about Henry Ford and all the "alphabet Fords" including the first Model T cars, through the Piquette era.

Link:
http://www.earlyfordcars.info/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

I will order it up, and thank you, you do deserve alot of credit though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

David,
Thank you. Bud,,yes, that is an interesting car. It is an early K (1906) with an aftermarket body. It is possible it was the 1906 roadster (although I personally doubt it) mentioned in a news article in early 1907.

This is a photo of that car with owner Nelson Holmwood before Harold Warp purchased it. Now it resides at "Pioneer Village" in Minden Nebraska:

And at Pioneer Village:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration