1917-1922 Switch Assembly...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1917-1922 Switch Assembly...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 07:56 pm:

Ok, I'm not sure what verbiage is on this cover besides the stuff I figure would be on there like, "MAG", "OFF" and "BAT." and of course Ford. Or if any of it really visible or not.

Is any of the other stuff on there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

See your other post I added some info there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:12 pm:

1917 model year still had the hard rubber housing, not the pressed steel cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:19 pm:

Erik what year did this housing come into use, I was told is was 1917?

Mark, yes I saw it, and I could see the diamond too...but what was on either side of it? The Ford logo was at the top in script and "Mag, Bat" and proably "Off" were along the bottom. But it looks like there was some sort of imprint on either side of the key hole too...too bad he didn't soak the rust off, I would dearly love to see that plate cleaned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

The stamped cover was introduced in the 1918 model year. Exactly when, I couldn't tell you. (John Regan may have a definitive answer.)

I'm basing my information on 1917 Fords with known histories that I have looked at including my father's late 1917 touring (July 1917 motor number, the last month of the 1917 model year) that he purchased in unrestored condition from the original family in 1949. Also, information provided by John Regan who has studied the coil box face plate factory drawings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:03 pm:

Ok, how about this one? I copied the plate exactly or at least from what I could see.

I've labeled it 1918 thru 1922.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:26 pm:

I'll pick a couple of nits on this one. Your back plate is too thick. It should be sheet metal, like the data plate. The three holes where it attaches to the box aren't countersunk. They're in pressed feet. Look closely at my pictures and Keith's to see that. Those three machine screws should be round head. The rest of this looks about right to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 02:35 am:

Ok Steve, will this due? According to David Dewey there were two different plates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 11:13 am:

The face plate 4730 is not used with the 1918-22 stamped switch cover. It's used only with the hard rubber switch housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:27 pm:

Martin,
Erik's right, the stamped metal cover plate switch had no separate cover, just the lettering stamped into it--this reduced the number of parts required--and the molded case too!
Remember, if a group of Ts went down the assembly line, missing a bolt & there were no complaints or problems, next year's model didn't have that bolt!!
:-) (Old T joke)
David

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration