OT - Montgomery Ward metal lathe....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Montgomery Ward metal lathe....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:23 pm:

I stumbled onto an old Montgomery Ward metal lathe and the guy said make an offer. It looks like the 04TLC 700A lathe, but the tag looked like it said the model was a 14TLC 711A, or 14TLC 7114. Anyway, I talked to a long time machinist and he said start at $200 and don't go any higher than $500. Any input from the T crowd. I know that a lot depends on what attachments it has. I really don't know, it didn't look like there was a whole lot there. I couldn't get a good look.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:31 pm:

It it in the USA? Where? If you don't want it I might be interested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

The Montgomery Wards lathe could be a Logan made lathe that was relabeled for selling by Montgomery Wards.
http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/MONTGOMERY-WARDS-Powr-Kraft-Metal-Lathe-Part-Manu al_p_477.html
I guess a lot depends on if it has Babbett or Timpken bearings in the head stock and what size it is and what tools that come with it. I would think looking at prices on ebay it might be up towards the $500 range.
http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/4345974551.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

This is a great site for old machine tools and woodworking tools:

http://vintagemachinery.org/

According to the website, "TLC" in the model number indicates Logan Engineering Company.

Monkey Ward page:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=657

Logan page:

http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=2093

Note that each manufacturer page has tabs for publications, photos, etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 10:52 pm:

Logan Is still around. Look up Logan Engineering. I think they have Monkey Ward numbers on their site. They still make parts for Logans. I have a Logan that my Dad bought new in 54. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

I think your machinist friend had it on the money, price wise. If it has flat ways, it's an Atlas & definitely stay at the bottom end of his assessment!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:35 pm:

I disagree. I have a 13 x 40 Jet Engine lathe, a new small Chinese 6 x 22 from Little Machine Shop and a 1940's Logan as well as two Unimats. They are all good lathes and the Logan is still as accurate and well built as anything on the market. I bought a 12 x 36 Craftsman/Atlas a couple years ago at an auction with lots of tooling and very little use from new, sold it to a young guy who just graduated from gunsmith school in Denver and he would not trade it for a new anything in the price range I sold it to him for. It has everything you need in a lathe. It is smooth, accurate, American made, every part is still available, repeatability on the chucks is still within a couple thou and it will be a good lathe when many if not most of the new Chinese stuff is in the scrap heap. He offered me $2000 for it and I took it even tho I thought it was worth more. I would not sell my Logan for that unless I could find a new old stock or close to it Myford Super 7 for the same money. (I bid on the NOS Myford on ebay last year but the guy wouldn't ship it and I would have had to go to Chicago to get it. It sold for $200 more than my $3500 bid. I' still kicking myself.)

Atlas lathes were sold as Craftsman through the SEars catalog for years, Logan as Montomery Ward's Powercraft. They were both great lathes and, if you can find one in good condition, will do everything a new one will.

My theory is that a good machinist can do good work on a mediocre lathe and a bad machinist can't do good work no matter what lathe he has.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:58 pm:

Unca' Stan - I like your "rule-of-thumb". It makes me think of another "rule-of-thumb" that I particularly like,....that seems to me to apply to lathes and pick up trucks:

You can do a small job with a big one, but ya' can't do a big job with a small one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 06:15 pm:

Stan,
I suppose I should have qualified my posting.
In today's "lathe market" things aren't quite as bad as the "piano market" but you can find manual machine tools pretty cheap nowadays. Two things wrong with them for the marketplace: 1) manual--most everyone new to the biz wants numerical control, 2) the stuff is HEAVY, so location, location, location is paramount! And yes, you are very correct about mediocre lathes and bad machinists. The best teacher a machinist can have is a worn-out lathe! BUT, it's a longer learning curve!!
I didn't think Atlas parts were still readily available too. But, what do I know???
What makes any lathe purchase a steal is the amount of tooling that comes with it. I have a nearly-new, 1946 11" Sheldon that I use--and it came with a compact pickup load of tooling (including a Du-more tool post grinder). I still don't know what I'm doing half of the time, but I've made some good parts on it, and turned toy train commutators on it too (Now there's over kill in tool size--Take that, Tim Allen!!).
Heh heh heh!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

Location is a lot of it. There has never been a machining business in Montana so used lathes tended to be either really worn out or from the air bases or schools. There are tons of good used manual lathes and mills back east, not here. A friend bought two Atlas lathes at an auction last year. Both needed a little work but I think parts for them are all over ebay. Should take much to get them put together and working. He bought a 10 x 24 and a 10 x 36. One has a quick change, the other doesn't. In my world a quick change is not such a big deal. In some people's world it is. It's handy but not necessary for most work. I hardly ever thread anything on a lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

I should say there has never been MUCH of a machining business in MOntana. There is some, more now than there used to be but nothing like the big industrial centers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:02 pm:

Stan,
Those are nice 'average' sized lathes, one can do a lot with them. Mine came out of a gunsmith's shop--who also had all the slot machine routes too, but looks like he almost never used the lathe--there was still Cosmoline on most of the surfaces. A deal like that seldom comes around, and I was only one step ahead of the machinery salesman (well, a half-day, but did I luck out!). I had to borrow the money from my credit card, and the teller at the bank said, "Do you know what the interest rate is on this??" I said, 'It doesn't matter!" -- the deal was that good! Also, it was about all I could afford at the time (budget is worse now than then though (25 years ago) --who's saying the economy is improving?? But now I'm getting off topic and probably political too (oops, I'm a BAD Boy).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:23 pm:

I bought a MW Logan, like pictured in the link above, from my son's father in law for $200.00 (with a whole bunch of attachments). It has had very little use. An "In-Law" deal really is not a good indicator of worth though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration