How do you make a wire harness look old?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: How do you make a wire harness look old?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Scott Holsinger on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:18 am:

This car looks old, tired, distressed and worn. I've spent some time making every part look as though it had sat outside most of it's life. Mechanically the car is strong and works very well. The problem I have is with getting a new commutator wiring harness to look as old as the rest of the car. Any suggestions or ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Let it sit out in the weather for a few weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:44 am:

How about some really thinned out paint? Color is your choice. Brush on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 09:47 am:

Rinse in muddy water. Let dry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 10:04 am:

Lightly oil it then sprinkle dry powdery dirt on it. That's essentially what will happen to it after many thousands of miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 10:56 am:

Leave it alone. It will age all by itself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 11:08 am:

Lightly sand/scuff the surface, bleach some of the brightness out of the colour, lightly oil and dust with powdered dirt. I've also rolled wire around a grubby garage floor with my foot to help break in the appearance.

PS: I commend and admire your attention to this sort of detail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Just drive the car around for 10 years and it will look old. I just changed a timer on a car which was restored 10 years ago. I could hardly distinguish the colors of the wires because of dirt and oil. The fan blade tends to throw dirt and oil all over the wires and they will soon look old.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Katy, Texas on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

Bread it with flour and egg and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Yum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Is it a new model T wire harness, or is it one you made up? If I am using modern wiring I use Friction tape. It blends in nearly perfectly within a day or two. If it is a model T harness, install it, rub your dirty oily hands over it every so often, within a few weeks it will look old.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:09 am:

Send it to me and I'll send it back to you in ten years or so.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:06 am:

Sweep your garage floor really well (right into corners you haven't touched in years) and make a pile of the dust, bits of grime, etc. Take your commutator harness and put some masking tape over each of the connections. Get a can of hairspray and spray the harness down really well - almost dripping - and roll harness in the pile of garage sweepings. Remove tape from connectors and install.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:10 am:

Just did the same thing on my '21/'27 doodlebug - which has also sucked up two quarts of boiled linseed oil thus far in her preservation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeffrey Scott Holsinger on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 05:51 pm:

Thanks for the ideas, I think I'm going to combine a few of your ideas and see what comes of it? Added note; Ron I thoroughly enjoy doodlebugs. Each one is unique and often the engineering is interesting, it would be fun to put one together someday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

I like the idea of taking light grease and darkening the bright colors of new cloth insulation. Whatever you do, don't fray the insulation to make it look old!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:30 pm:

I have a couple of old ones for a 21 with a starter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:39 pm:

Close the garage door for 80 or so years, then open the door, and bingo the harness looks aged...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:07 am:

Ya know I just don't understand this obsession everybody seems to have in making their car or something in it look old as dirt. To my mind it gives people the wrong idea...they don't see a Model T in good condition, they see a rust bucket missing a few bullet holes...something they are likely to do if you leave it in one place long enough. I people to look at my car with a kind of reverence you only get when it looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

I'm with you Martin.
I want my T to look like it came off the line TODAY!
I'm sick of driving rusty, dented, faded old junk. And I am sick of looking at cars like that.
But I do admire cars that are original but well kept.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 08:28 pm:

I don't want my T to look all shiny and new. I've been there and had that. I respect people who put time and money to get their Model T's to look that good but, there's something to be said for keeping them running good enough to keep them touring after 100 years with as little expense as necessary. At any rate I say that now but, I just put several thousand dollars into the running gear on my '26 sedan and know I'm not going to stop for a long time. I'm considering new interior, new glass, new tires and other improvements in the future. The thing I don't want to lose is it's uniqueness. It's recognized by most people in the area and I get a lot of people walking up to it to tell me stories of where they saw it before. I don't ever want it to be another clone looking Model T in a row of others. People identify with 100 year old cars and wonder where different dents and scratches or other beauty marks came from. But as I said its a work in progress and there's no telling where I might stop. The only thing I can say with certainty is that it will always look like a much loved old car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave DeYoung ......... Stoughton, WI on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 09:32 pm:

I'm with Mike. I have a restored 26 Tudor and a 26 barn-fresh Roadster. When we take both to a show, everyone walks past the Tudor and wants to know what the Roadster's story is.

At my first show with the Roadster, I had an older gentleman ask me what I was going to do to it. I said, "Nothing but keep it running good." His response was, " Good for you, they're only original once." That was 10 years ago and nothing has change my mind yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, March 08, 2014 - 11:49 pm:

Just because your car looks like it just got hauled out of a pasture someplace doesn't make people want to talk about "th good ol days"...it's the fact it's a Model T Ford that makes people want to talk about what they heard their parents and grandparents tell them stories about it. I probably get just a many stories about peoples experience with the Model T as you do and yes everybody around here knows my car also, mainly because it's the only bloody Model T around here. Plus I have the confidence that whichever direction I point her in, she'll get me there and back in style, my car may look the part but she ain't no trailer queen by any means, she's a first rate drivers car and looks as good as she drives.

Yes, they're only original once, but that was when they were shiny and new...not old and rusty. That being said...if I were to run across a car that had spent the last 70 years or so in a barn...I would probably agree and leave it in a sort of original condition (after making all the necessary repairs to make it drivable). But to make your newly purchased Model T or Model T parts into a derelict condition...no I don't understand that reasoning at all, never will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:27 am:

I gave my Shaw Conversion tractor a "nut and bolt" - better than she looked when she was originally assembled I'm sure. I'm going through the doodlebug now, but maintaining her patina. More a preservation than a restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 07:38 am:

Try a 50:50 mixture of coffee and Coca-Cola. The coffee will stain and the phosphoric acid in the cola will give it texture. Don't over-do it.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration