Early Spindle Repair Queston

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Early Spindle Repair Queston
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 03:04 pm:

I'm new to the Model T scene and I'm starting a build, collecting parts and so on... I have a early left spindle(with full round flange) with some damaged threads. The thread damage starts at about 1" and 1/4 from the end Question is based upon these pictures as seen is this spindle usable, fixable, or junk. I know you can fix these but is this one past repair if not what are the corrective steps to take on something like this?
Thanks for all your help
Mike
Spindle pic twoSpindle pic oneSpindle pic three

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 03:54 pm:

Clean up, weld up, file down to the larger diameter and chase with a die.
I've done it a bunch on the wear areas of rear radius rods. If its the left hand thread it may cost a bit for a die. Appears to be a 3/4" x 16 tpi. I'll try to find a die.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:01 pm:

Enco carries the right hand thread die, about $10.
McMaster Carr carries the left hand thread die, about $30.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:02 pm:

Mike,

I don't believe the damaged threads are in a critical area, nor are they severe enough to worry about. I would use it as-is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 04:42 pm:

Ditto. But I would clean it up and remove the old bearing race first. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bird on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

Thanks Guys for your input

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration