Steering Gears

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Steering Gears
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

Ok guys need a little help here. Last week I ordered a new gear set for the steering column because mine were shot. I rebuilt the entire front end and still had play in the wheel and found the little gears and pins were worn badly attributing to much of the play. Since I thought my car was a 1923 I ordered the parts from Langs (great folks I recommend them) and they arrived Friday. Well as usual ole Lizzy threw me a curve. the little gears and new pins fit great. But the center gear (that the steering wheel bolts to) was way too short. Then I got to looking at my steering gear column cover and it is huge. It doesn't look anything like the replacement brass ones Langs sells. What worse is when I put the new center gear in its way too short and doesn't stick out long enough to put the steering wheel on. The pictures I have posted are the current setup with the old gears in. What do I have here? is this supposed to be on the car? Is this a later model steering column? Also, the sloted part is some type of locking mechanism. When you turn it clockwise it locks with the wheel and turns with the assembly. When you turn it counter clockwise it does not rotate with the wheel. I'm a newbie and need some help! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

That is an accessory steering gear lock. Most use a special pinion gear. In order to use the new gears it must be replaced with a stock cover.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:15 pm:

What is the purpose of the steering gear lock? To keep someone from stealing the car? Where can I get a stock cover that is not brass? Thanks Stephen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:21 pm:

Rob, the lock is to prevent the car from being stolen. I would email Langs and see if they have a cover or look on ebay for one.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:47 pm:

I will look in my spare parts and see if I still have a steel cover, will let you know. No charge if I got it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 07:54 pm:

Rob,
That's pretty neat; the cover is not supposed to turn, that's how it locks the wheel. You certain your old center gear is too bad to use with the new three gears?
Regular covers are fairly common, you shouldn't find it hard to find one.
IMHO, that's so neat, I'd check around for a replacement longer shaft, or a machinist who could make one????
Yeah, I know, $$$$

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

The repo gears and pins are for a stock Ford gear case.
You may not can find another lock wheel easily like the one you have.
I think I would look for a good used steering column for a 23.
They are fairly plentiful from time to time at swap meets or on Ebay.

The best Model T swap meet in the opinion of a LOT of people is about 3 weeks away. Its in Chickasha, OK.
If you like Model T's you should be able to find another column there or the parts you need.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Saturday, March 01, 2014 - 08:36 pm:

those things can be a bugger to get off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Hughes on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 02:20 am:

So I assume at one time this thing had a key that was inserted into the lock. Now it locks with a flathead screwdriver!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 01:49 pm:

I do have the correct ford gear case cover for your car, and I did try a new pinion gear in it, the same parts from langs. Very tight in fact, would need to polish the new gear down a little to make perfect. I can send it to you, not even worried about shipping, don't care. It is as good as any swap meet find, needs cleaned and paint. pm me if you want it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:11 pm:

Rob, here's a stock steering gear cover. I believe this one's 26-27, so the knurling pattern is different from the one for your 23, but the shape of the thing is the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Mazza on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:26 pm:

This is the cover that I will simply send you, if needed. It should be the correct cover for cars 1918-1925ishcover

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:47 pm:

I have one of the long center gears I took out of an old column.If you need it you can have it.Just let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:48 pm:

Wow. Someone needs to lay off pipe wrenches. Those are $50 boogers there. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 04:07 pm:

Yep, that would be a nice one without all the gouges. I also have a truck bed license plate bracket that was fine until some guy set the bed down on it and wrecked it. Some folks don't think about what they're doing.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration