Roof 16 valve head , Pistons

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Roof 16 valve head , Pistons
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hermann on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 03:23 am:

I have a Roof 16 valve series A head which I wish to use in my model T bobtailed racer. From pictures I have seen it appears that the pistons used with this head are far from standard. Does anyone have specifications for these pistons or information as to where they can be obtained

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 06:54 am:

Although standard pistons can be used, the compression ratio can be increased by using domed/pop-up pistons. For my Roof 16 application I designed a piston which provides 8 to 1 compression ratio and a set was made by Jahns Pistons. They are a sand cast piston and I think they can produce any style/design using existing (or new) molds. Although the engine has been running for many years, I have always wondered about the possible shrouding of the plug and a stagnated combustion chamber.

Roof pistons

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 10:15 am:

John how far are you going with the rest of the engine? I'm using a Scat crank with 1 1/2" journals and Scat rods. Ross will make you a set of pistons if cc the chambers, measure the depth and give them a compression ratio you want. Great pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hermann on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 06:32 pm:

John, I have just ordered a Scat stroker crank drilled for oil pressure together with a set of bearing insert rods. All I need now are the pistons and camshaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Meakin on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 06:48 pm:

On our 18 racer with a roof model a we have used egge pistons with A rods and after taking it out for a test drive today, it certainly isn't lacking in power!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 11:45 pm:

John I haven't order my piston from Ross yet but will before the end of the month. I have a 320 cam, but I don't think that is probably the best choice for a car your going to drive a lot. I would think a 280 or 290 would be a good choice for a driver. Larry Young, Mike Bender, Glenn Chaffin, the Carnegies and a few others have spent a lot of time on cam development. Tulsa web site has a good article on cams and search the forum as its been discussed before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:56 am:

John

Attached is an article from T Topics- Model T Ford Club of GB. It is highly likely this is your car.

The head you have was found by a friend in the early 1980s on an old bush track near Longreach. I wrote a letter to Bruce in the Vintage Ford requesting info on the head . The letter was published.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:02 am:

John

The finder of the head sold it directly to the person you bought it from.

This head is what got me interested in speed equipment.

The Vintage Ford Article:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:06 am:

John

Here are some interview details when I did some research on the head:

Ballards Transport of Longreach had a Roof OHV 16 valve Speedster in the 1960ís (info from Harry Mason July 1999)

Terry Ballard (of Ballardís Transport, Longreach , now of Jandowie SQLD) can remember a blue Model T with sports body and wire wheels under a tree on a property on the old Muttburra Rd outside of Longreach up the river in the very late 1950ís around Yaamba Station area. The owner said it was a competition model. (24-01-2008)

Please keep in mind that this was refered to as a competition model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:14 am:

John

Queensland had their own Laurel Roof Agent Based in Brisbane, Simpson Motor Co. Simpson sold heads, built speedsters for sale from 1920 to 1924 and could have been a Ford Agent at one time. He advertised shipments of these heads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:17 am:

Here one of Simpsons speedsters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:22 am:

John

Back to your car and the model T Ford Club of GB article.

This speedster was built in north west Qld. Muttaburra is in the lower part od North West Qld.

I have been told that early Qantas Pilots in Longreach used to build Ford speedsters for fun on days off and race them over flat country and bore drains.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:26 am:

John

The above article has lots of information for you. First of all it is a competition body, the same as described in the 60's on Muttaburra Rd.

It also gives details of the pistons and rods used.

The pistons and rods were found with the head but were left behind.

hope this is of some help to you

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:06 pm:

John, the pistons in my BB are basically flat top, but they come out of the block 15/32. This engine has Laurel rods, piston and head. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 03:22 pm:

Steve,
What you describe sounds much like what I have shown earlier in this thread. Do you have any pictures? The pistons I show are under a B Roof head....
roof head

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 04:22 pm:

Does anyone know where the Roof heads were produced in Anderson, IN? I was born and raised there but have no idea of where the factory/shop was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Meixner on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 04:31 pm:

John, do not have pix, but they come straight up. Do not taper up as your's appear to. Fred, James Roof, who is Roberts grandson, lives in the area I think.Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 07:43 pm:

John Herman and John Steele
Egge has more pistons available than is obvious to the eye. I spent some time on their website awhile back and then phoned them. They might have want you want for less than Ross will want.
I also have a 16 valve Roof (as you know JS)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark herdman on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:33 pm:

John Hermann

I agree with Les. I had more than one choice of dome top Egge pistons when I had my R Fronty engine rebuilt. They re well made light pistons.

Mark

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john hermann on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:20 pm:

Thanks for all the information, I will contact Egge and see what they have John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration