Upcoming Bakersfield Swap Meet?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Upcoming Bakersfield Swap Meet?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:11 pm:

Is it me or is there a lack of information concerning this swap meet. I just received the latest model t magazine and in the events section there is not a mention of this event.

Also on the mtfca website under events there is nothing mentioned.

Is there a fallout between the Bakersfield chapter and the national organization?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:27 pm:

It's not a MTFCA meet, it's an HCCA meet. Check on the HCCA site for more info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 01:39 pm:

http://www.hcca.org/calendar.php

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Stewart -Calif. on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:31 pm:

The Model T Ford of Kern County has set up and manned the Swap Meet since its first show in 1992.
Our club will also celebrate it's 50th Anniversary this September.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:55 pm:

I have attended every Bakersfield held, and it just gets better and better. It is sold out some 400 stalls in all. Lots of easy parking and motorhome parking.

While the major sponsor is the HCCA, the Kern County model t club is also involved. There are lots of model t parts and cars for sale.

After attending every Chickasha and Hershey for 29 years running, I choose Bakersfield as the best prewar swap meet going.

Now for the logistics, get there Thursday afternoon.They don't allow swappers onto the grounds until 6 pm Thursday but there is a lot of swapping going on while the swappers are lined up. Friday morning the gates open at 7 am and the swapping begins.

The side benefit is lots of reasonably priced motels and great resturants to eat at. Get there early and swap your little heart out.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 09:14 pm:

Dining recommendations: Dinner at Noriega Hotel (you may need reservations) and dessert at Dewar's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

If you can't get in at the Noriega, the Wool Growers; Association is great too (just down the street--and they serve later too)--and YUM Dewar's!!
But you won't have any room for dessert after that dinner!! Go there the next day!
Yes, best brass swap in the West!
OH, April 11!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

I've attended and vended at Bakersfield a few times. Always a very nice meet, nice area, nice people. Sold some and found some neat stuff. I'd like to go again and probably will. If it wasn't for the long drive I'd be there every year! Enjoyed the Basque cuisine restaurants too.
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:31 pm:

Go early to Dewars and plan to take a number and wait, but its well worth the wait. Try the double sundaes. There is a honest to god German buffet up by the Motel 6 that is incredible , will get the name and post here later.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:22 am:

Bakersfield is a great meet for model T people. It is all pre-war, every space has something interesting to us, and it doesn't require walking 10 miles to see it all. There are always lots of cars for display and for sale there. We will be there with a big collection of T parts not seen a swap meets before, the estate of Ron Brown, Sr. Come and visit with us to talk model T's or whatever. See you there!
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:31 am:

When I lived in California (8 years) I went every year. If you are into early brass cars Bakersfield is a swap meet you need to plan on attending.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:36 am:

I will be located in a Trail Light motor home along the north side fence, several spaces down from the bathroom. Same space that I have been in for over 5yrs. It's the best swap meet out west....especially for early brass cars & parts. Lot's of model T parts abound at this meet. All swap spaces are outside with most spaces located on grass, many sellers have pop ups for shade.

Have attended 3 Chickasha swap meets and really enjoy that meet. Have experienced snow, ice and heavy rain at Chickasha....can not plan on warm weather going there. The weather in Bakersfield is much more predictable. Two years ago, we had heavy rain at times....the serious shoppers still hung in there. I have been attending the Bakersfield swap meet for over 10 yrs. and that was the first time that heavy rain affected the meet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:17 am:

My wife & I were there 2 years ago and being from the Seattle - Tacoma area - those "heavy rains at times" was a bit of an understatement ! It was the first time my wife accompanied me and I'm bragging up the great sunny California weather to fly into this ? We usually fly down & rent a SUV (need room for goodies) to drive home so we found the nearest K-Mart for rubber boots beings we didn't bring any in our luggage !

But, we will be there again this year - look forward to seeing some of you folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:47 am:

I have only been to one "swap meet" and no one would swap anything, only money for parts no part for a part.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 01:50 pm:

Rick,
Years ago I was at a swap meet, "swapping" stuff. I had some Model A starters I had rebuilt (had little in them, they came in a huge pile of parts I bought a few years before), and the guy one space over had a Model A engine that two guys were looking at. One read the motor number out loud to his buddy, and his buddy said, "Gee, I dunno if that's the right year." I hollered over, "That's April 1930!" "Oh, that won't work for us, oh well."
Hmm, I says to myself, why did I know that off the top of my head? Oh, that's almost the same number as my car (I've owned that car since I was in 8th grade, so some stuff is stuck in my mind) and my block is cracked--Hmm. . ."Say mister, what do you want for that motor"?"
"How about one of those nice starters?"
"Yep!"
So, that was a true swap! BTW, that motor turned out to have a Model B crank and a very late oil pump with the baffle in it--what a deal!!
So, it does happen!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration