Ruckstell shifting rod grommet question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Ruckstell shifting rod grommet question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

What is being used to replace the worn out grommet in the shifting rod support. I would think the rubber grommets like used to support wires going through the firewall would be too soft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 04:08 pm:

It's rubber. Not real soft. I took mine out because even with silicone lube the rod was sticking on shifts. A worn grommet would work. The new grommets are tight I.d. And in my case caused the rub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 05:21 pm:

I purchased a thick rubber washer with a groove in the OD from a local hardware store that I worked into the support. I think there is a name for this type of piece, but I can't remember what it is. Seems to work fine and look right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 05:39 pm:

I made a nylon grommet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 07:07 pm:

I use a very small amount of chassis grease on the rod & grommet - smoothed right up.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration