Schrader valve stem caps

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Schrader valve stem caps
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 06:28 pm:

hey all-

picked up these schrader valve stem caps for $1 each to put on my T. Problem is, I have model valve stems and these are too large to accommodate. Could I sneak by and glue a modern cap inside and screw it on? or am I missing something? thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 06:43 pm:

Check Coker,I think they sell an adapter to fit on rubber stem so you can use those. I may be dreaming,but I thought so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

The bottom nut screws on an original Model T metal valve stem.

You can find original valve stems at swap meets like the ones below. Cut the rubber stem off a modern tube and use original stems. Then your covers will work great and the stem will never fall apart either.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:32 pm:

I would also like to get some vintage style caps like Brian has. Thanks for the picture Royce. Sorry but, I just don't get how these seal up a modern tube. I'm not sure if it is possible to explain it better. Here is a diagram from the Macs catalog if that helps anyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:44 pm:

Please disregard. I think I figured it out. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Carter - South Jersey on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:58 pm:

Please see here for a how-to:
http://www.sheepisland.com/cars/tech/metal_stems/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:08 pm:

Thanks John. That helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Mettling on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:56 am:

thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:11 am:

Don't use any of the valve stems or parts from the vendors. They are all wrong. Go along with what Royce suggested. I've been doing this for years, and it works perfectly. If you have an early T, I suggest you use the knurled dust cover.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:53 pm:

Or you could abandon this type of dust cover [not valve cap] and search out a set of Dill brand covers with the internal sliding thread. These will fit even rubber stemmed tubes without any modification at all. They are a true valve cap, in that they seal the valve. Most have the valve the valve removal tool on the end as a bonus.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:06 am:

I have a number of Schrader and Dill dust caps, and some Bridgeports too. They are all interchangeable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:43 am:

Larry, how do you define interchangeable? In my experience, Schraeder dust caps will not go on a rubber stemmed tube. They need a threaded metal stem onto which the mounting nut is first screwed. Then the dust cap screws onto it.

The Dill caps I have need no metal stem. The sliding insert screws onto the valve cap thread even on a modern tube, and then the cover slides down to hide the valve stem. The Dill cap will fit all valve stems. The schraeder type only go on threaded metal stems.

I wish I could post photos. I have a couple of new old stock sets of 5 Dill caps in the original cardboard packs. These came from a display stand which still had 15 of a total 20 sets in situ. I should have bought the lot.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 09:47 am:

Read Royces comments.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration