1925 Model T Coupe Nail Strip and Cover

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1925 Model T Coupe Nail Strip and Cover
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B J Eaton on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 08:08 pm:

This strip runs from back of doors around back of car under back glass. Nail strip is usable but cover not so much. Where Can I Get this part
or can something else be done to have same appearence...NEED HELP... Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:22 am:

B J, look on ebay. I think what you need is listed on there. Sorry I don't have an item no., but I just saw the listing a few minutes ago. It is for several trim strips and drip rails. Snakeybill is the consigner. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 01:21 am:

I used the strips off a Chevrolet on my 24 coupe trunk. They have been on for about 40 years with no problems

coupe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:03 am:

Those Coupe trim strips are not being reproduced. If you locate some and you need them you had better buy them. They are hard to find.
You don't see them often even at Chickasha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:07 am:

If your old wood is solid but just full of holes from previous tacks, you can do the glue and round toothpick repair, it works well, see the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKP4JvyUB9Y

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:02 pm:

The nails were rusted off on my 24 Fordor but the trim was still hanging on, i had to buy a new belt rail as it was rotted away so i drilled and countersunk some holes, about eight and used flat head screws, the painter filled the heads with filler, sanded and painted and you cannot see them at all.Just my fix.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B J Eaton on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 08:17 pm:

anyone ever used vinyl glue on mouldings for this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:36 pm:

BJ, I looked for five years till I found that strip at Hershey last year, it was from a 24, solid aluminum instead of two piece style but I was very happy to find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike peterson on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:21 pm:

soooo if a person had one, and had it to chickasha, what is it worth?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:30 pm:

I gave 100 for mine, well worth that instead of making one out of wood and paint not holding???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 05:25 pm:

I did the trim strip on my '22 Coupe by cutting all the rotted and rusted nails flush with the back side then re-drilled and re-nailed it using very small ring shank nails that I cut the heads off to look like finish nails. Set them below the surface with a nail set and used spot putty to fill then in and sanded smooth.
A fellow that restores boats stopped by when I was doing it and suggested that I could use the aluminum strips that they use on boats because it looks very similar. You may want to check at a marine supply shop if you need to replace any that is bad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By B J Eaton on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

does anyone have any new suggestions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, April 02, 2014 - 09:13 pm:

BJ, you could get a piece of aluminum a little wider than you need and set it up in a mill and mill the edges couple feet at a time. A friend has an old knife planer, I was going to make a cutter and scrape the sides, this old planer was 14ft. long so there was plenty of room.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration