OT - Sometimes, you have an "AH HA" moment.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: OT - Sometimes, you have an "AH HA" moment.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:46 pm:

I have been puzzled (and fascinated) by a Ford Motor Company advertisement that ran nationally in newspapers across the U. S. on Sunday, February 21, 1926. The advertisement for the Ford Model T includes a paragraph mentioning the "six cylinder Ford" Model K as the as the Ford the Model T planetary transmission was patterned from:

The entire full page ad that appeared in several newspapers across the U. S.:

I thought, why would Ford advertising mention the Model K as the "predecessor", when all the pre Model T Fords had two speed transmissions? Why not credit the great selling Models NRS cars? Or the first Ford, the Model A?

Then, I was speaking with another Model K owner and had an "AH HA" moment.

Can anyone else see why in 1926, Ford would have credited the Model K with the development of the transmission used in the 1926 Model T?

Model K cutaway drawing of the K transmission. Left is forward:

Two pics of our "K" transmission:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:20 pm:

Is the wider drum the brake drum?

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:52 pm:

Keith,

You got it!

Yes, the Model K is the only Ford to have a wider transmission brake drum and band, prior to the improved 1926/27 Model T. That is the only reason I can think of (but have no proof of) that Ford Motor Company would word the paragraph in such a way, mentioning the (by now) obscure Model K as the "template" for the T transmission.

The other reason I was puzzled by the choice of the "six cylinder Ford" reference is because Ford was rumored to be, and adamantly denied, preparing to roll out a six cylinder replacement to the Model T at the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:37 am:

I,ll do a Royce to you Rob, WINK!!WINK!!
But Rob!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:42 am:

I forgot to mention, this was in a British book printed in 1955. No doubt proven wrong by your relentess research.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Nebraska on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:42 am:

Kerry,
You really know how to get a guy down.
:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration