Was it cold this winter?-one way to find out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Was it cold this winter?-one way to find out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 10:59 pm:

Alan and Sandra lived on a cove at Gull Lake Alberta.

It was early winter and the lower portion of the cove had frozen over.

Alan asked Sandra if she would walk across the frozen part of the cove to the general store and get him some smokes and beer.

She asked him for some money, but he told her, "Nah, just put it on our tab.

Old man Stacey won't mind."

So Sandra, being the good wife walked across the ice, got the smokes and beer at the store and then walked back home across the cove.

When she got home with the items she said, "Alan, you always tell me not to run up the tab at Stacey's store.

Why didn't you just give me some money?"

Alan replied, "Well, Sandra, I didn't want to send you out there with cash when I wasn't sure how thick the ice was!"

A love story like this almost brings tears to my eyes.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, March 03, 2014 - 11:06 pm:

Sounds like Ole and Lena to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TOM on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:54 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:26 am:

Can we get an "OT" on this? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:36 am:

OT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Gold Country of Calif. on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:42 am:

I kind of suspected it was OT when I read the subject line. Of course, I'm a little more perceptive than the average bear....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Trenton, New Jersey on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:44 am:

Dear winter, I'm going to leave you. Im afraid I just cant take you anymore. My legs and arms haven't seen the light of day in 6 months, Your cold is making me sick. Summer has given me a better offer so please leave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:49 pm:

A good indication is the fact that the amount of Ice on The Great Lakes is at its second highest recorded level. Lake Michigan is 92% frozen over right now, and expected to go higher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:11 pm:

You poor guys have all had a really tough Winter and I can't help but feel sorry for you. Here where I live we've had a lot of sunshine and fairly moderate temperatures. I never once felt I'd like to be anywhere else! I'm expecting we'll be able to start our touring early this year. Now excuse me I've got to go out and break the dog loose from my neighbors tire. He lifted his leg to pee and has been frozen to it for over an hour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

We have had over seventy days below zero this winter. I am very interested to see the ice break up on the lakes nearby. We have more than three feet of ice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:39 pm:

Has there been any talk of the economic cost of this cold? Things like missed work and delays in commerce come to mind, not to mention the extra energy used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:48 pm:

Ralph, I am feeding a 500,000 BTU Central outdoor wood boiler. It provides hot water to heat our house, hot water, my 32 x 48 x 12 shop, and the pool in the summer. The fire has not gone out for seven years. I have used a tremendous amount of wood this winter. We have "oak wilt" in our area, and wood fuel is plentiful, it just costs me time. But I can honestly say that I enjoy doing it. I picked up an old Gafner Iron Mule to handle logs, and I have 5 heavily forested acres of my own. A good friend has a tree service, and I help him dispose of the trees that he removes. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Holcomb, Watertown WI on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

It was so cold I saw a young hipster actually pull his pants UP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:01 pm:

This kind of cold is what does so much damage to our wildlife. During the hunting seasons, it'll be necessary to use bloodhounds to find the snow snakes, ice worms and frost frogs. Hopefully it's not as devastating as the '96 floods were on the hill grapplers and the left wing hawk divers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

It's been so cold that I recently took a look out my back door and noticed a mink crossing my yard wearing a rich lady.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:50 pm:

I went ice fishing and caught my limit. Then damn near drowned when all the ice I caught melted in the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 02:37 am:

How many cars are going to be lost when the ice breaks away from the shore this year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 03:16 am:

It Is so cold that -

"I saw a greyhound bus and the dog was riding on the inside."

"Cows are giving ice cream instead of milk."

"You don't mind when strangers rub up against you on the subway."

"That the government is urging people to buy SUVs and idle their engines to speed up the global warming."

"The coach got a concussion when he was hit with a block of Gatorade."

"At 5 degrees, we are having a heat wave!

"Someone accidentally pours hot coffee on your hands, and you say 'thank you.'

"Miley Cyrus had to put her clothes back on."

"The dog is using the toilet instead of going outside."

"A guy was eating supper and his fork stuck to his tongue."

"When I laughed, my mustache shattered "

AND!

" My testicles have become ovaries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 06:40 pm:

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:29 pm:

Fred
Your last one was a sure winner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:48 pm:

We have a new record for ice coverage on Lake Michigan. The last one was from 1977.
The local paper here in Bellaire, MI., says we have had 150 inches of total snowfall this winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:01 pm:

Roar. That is warm ice. Before global warming it would have been cold ice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:22 pm:

Fred,
Was it warm snow you guys got over in NH?
I couldn't tell the difference through my double layers of long johns!
Must have confused the thermometers too. One guy read - 38 F over in Mancelona, about 8 miles from here.
I remember a number of years ago when they were panicking about a possible new ice age coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:25 pm:

Yep winter was fun in Michigan. Ice storm hit and no power for 6 days...no problem, just run on generator. Gas stations were running out of fuel and it cost a bunch of $$ plus getting up at night to refuel then the generator shook itself to death. I kept it going until the end and now the broken sheet metal is replaced. Next came the snow...lots of it but no problem. I plowed myself out but when the driveway was open there was no road...for 2 days. The huge county plow truck blasted by and got...stuck. Now we are in mud season.

I heat mostly with wood so no problem...except the wood was all frozen together so to pick it up was like lifting half a wheel barrow at a time and throwing it on the basement floor to break it up. Well after several weeks of that I ruptured a disc in my back and got to ride the morphine coach in the hospital for a week.

Winter in Michigan is all fun but not as much fun now that I am in my mid 50's as it was when first married at 24 and we were newlyweds and out of power for a week...that was fun! Just a fireplace and oil lamps. Now just a sore back and a heating pad.

We have had many days of -20 and I will tell you what can be done at that temp...heat up a coffee cup of water to almost boiling and go outside and throw it up into the air. No water falls and it just turns into steam.

Michigan--"The Winter, Water, Wonderland" but they forgot the frozen part of that. Should read "The bugs, floods, ice and snow with brief jungle humidity". Birthplace of the Model T Ford!

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:33 pm:

I am looking into an outdoor wood gasifier furnace. Propane hit over $4 a gallon this winter. Up from .56 20 years ago, and 1.50 last year.

I read an article where the EPA is pushing for regulations to restrict wood heat emissions...currently no furnaces comply.

Has anyone else read this?

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:39 pm:

Yes I saw that was the case. What's next?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John E Cox on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:40 pm:

I recently saw this in Fox News, I think.
Lena and Ole live a little east of Lyle Minnesota on Otter Creek. They were a little North of the Iowa line.
Lena come home all excited and Ole calmed her down and asked what the problem was.
It seems that the Govrnment had done a new land survey and they no longer lived in Minnesota. They were now Iowa residents.
Ole pontificated on this for a while and said.
Thank the Lord and President Obama I don't think that I could have survive another winter in Minnesota.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 09:50 pm:

Roar - We don't get snow in NH - That white stuff is our cash cow because the Massholes come and slide down our mountains on two sticks.
Sometimes the sticks are wood and sometimes they are fiberglass.

We charge them tons of money for the privilege of "falling down" our mountains and we tell them that if they buy the real expensive sticks they can fall down faster.
We tell them that they have to buy puffy jackets to keep warm but the real reason is that it makes them look like the Michelin man and when the fall
they tend to roll to the bottom of the mountain like big bowling balls.
We sit in a warm lodge drinking Sam Adams beer and laugh our butts off as we watch them bounce off people and tree.

In the spring we have a black fly derby where the Massholes try to see how many they can kill with one swat - In the summer we use mosquitos in place of the flies and the fall is even more fun when we have the moose vs vehicle competition.

Like someone once said there is a sucker born every minute!

Come on over sometime - it is great fun !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 07:53 pm:

Fred,
You have such a great nickname for your neighbors to the south. I know what you mean.
We are practically surrounded by golf courses, where people chase little round balls in the weeds, sand, woods and ponds. It must be very stressful and exhausting to climb in and out of those carts for hours. Just don't get in their way on the road when they drive home after recuperating at the 19th hole!
We started the season with a good four full cords of firewood stacked under the overhang along the barn. Unfortunately we had a fire in the chimney chase in mid November, one month after having the chimney sweep out, so that put our wood burner out of commission, and we have had to rely on Propane. The cause of the fire was never pinpointed, but we could not live in the house until early January.
The soil up here in the hills is mostly sand, so not a good habitat for black flies or mosquitoes. We feel blessed in that regard! We are waiting for the snow to melt, so repairs can start. The chimney chase has too much structural damage, so it has to come down and get rebuilt.
Not much T stuff here, so I'll probably get yelled at.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:26 pm:

Just got back from 2 weeks in the Caribbean. All the travelers we meet were from Canada, or the northern parts of U.S.A., all escaping from this overactive winter.

As an aside, 4 out of 5 great lakes prefer michigan.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration