Waaayy OT: Flashed opal glass

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Waaayy OT: Flashed opal glass
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:15 am:

It would be the perfect stuff for a slide copier and a viewing & sorting table. But after finding none locally I called every glass place in Wichita and OKC, and without exception everyone I talked to had never heard of it. This is the kind of shopping I absolutely despise. Go looking for something you used to buy at a local store and find that now nobody even knows what it is. So that brings me to my question. Anybody know of a good substitute that I might be able to find in the immediate world?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:32 am:

http://www.franklinartglass.com/shop/item.aspx/white-opal-flashed-on-clear-glass -3-700-10-x14/1260/

http://www.grayglass.net/product.cfm/GrayGlass/FLASHED-OPAL-/product_id/4166

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:39 am:

I was hoping to avoid thirty bucks a square foot and shipping halfway across the country, but it may come to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:09 am:

Try Edmund optics.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:45 am:

My sister is a sales manager for a glass company (all kinds of glass). I sent her a query to see if she can help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:57 am:

The bottom shelf on my display case is frosted on the back of glass for a light table affect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:03 pm:

Sorry Steve... My sister was of no help. (just like when we were growing up!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 12:31 pm:

I'm delighted to report that I've found a slide sorter with translucent plastic that looks like it will be just the thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 01:56 pm:

Steve,
I've "frosted" glass two ways (well, maybe three)
1. Glassbead one side (need glassbead cabinet to do this, maybe a friend has one?)
2 White spray paint one side. light coats (pun not intended) carefully done to avoid streaks.
3 Combination of both, glass bead first!
I had to do this for a light fixture in a theatre once; one piece of rippled glass was broken, and to replicate it, all I could get was clear rippled glass, so I did #1, and it matches well enough that no one has noticed (at least no one has said anything about it, except how nice the fixture now looks (I had the metal parts powder coated gold and the brass balls on it polished-really changed the fixture from dingy to "wow" now to get to the decorative stair railings.).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner-Los Angeles on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:53 pm:

Steve, did you check the glass shops in Oklahoma City ? PU when you are down there.
Geo n L.A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:28 pm:

Yes, I did. They were just as clueless as the Kansas shops. It's a moot point now that I've found my plastic sorter.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration