Early cars, motorcycles and a Zeppelin!-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Early cars, motorcycles and a Zeppelin!-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 05:47 am:

Can you find the Zeppelin?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:42 am:

I think it's behind the guy with the hat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 10:07 am:

Maybe a T on the road on the far right? Maybe not cause the top looks weird. I don't see a Zeppelin in this photo anywhere.

Makes me think of this though - whoopie, a zeppelin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:44 am:

Wow - a Fire Truck & a Zeppelin ???? Surely wouldn't have anything to do with "spoiled" ? ;>)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 01:06 pm:

blimp (I don't see lines from a rigid frame), not Zeppelin. In the early 20th century there was a bit of an airship craze both in the states and across the Atlantic. I love seeing these photos, as the builders and pilots were just everyday people with the drive to better themselves and society. For note, 50 liters of helium will lift 51 grams. (.11 pounds) Hydrogen has twice the lift.
I'm fond of the smaller pedal powered ones:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

So Chris are you saying that Steve is seeing things?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:12 pm:

Air ship, blimp or as every one is familiar with, just call it a Zeppelin! then we all know what it is. Just like calling a vacuum cleaner a Hoover!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:31 pm:

What's a Hoover?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 08:18 pm:

Dictionary. Quote

"HOOVER,( veb/noun) synonym:
To vacuum/ vacuum cleaner.
Hoover is a company that makes vacuum cleaners.
The company is so well known that the brand name is often used instead of vacuum cleaner" end quote.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 08:29 pm:

I'm with you of you're saying that a Zeppelin is a dirigible, but you're on your own if you insist on calling a zeppelin a blimp. ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 08:50 pm:

I'm Hovering with my Electrolux! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:06 pm:

I think a Hoover (or two) was someone important in the gov't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 09:11 pm:

Mark, Electrolux is dirty name around here. Their refrigerator plant in Greenville, MI was the largest in the world till they pulled out and moved it to Mexico. Sorry, I digress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:38 pm:

Well an airship (HAH, got around that controversy!) and hover, does that make it a Hoover??
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:11 am:

A damned Hoover or Hoover Dam? Almost the same thing, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 04:53 am:

One of the earliest versions of lighter-than-air airships became known during the early days as the "A" limp. Limp simply refers to the limp bag that the helium or hydrogen is held in.
The "B" limp was a more improved design whose shape offered greater advantages for further development (engines, controlled flight, etc).
Eventually, B limp was simply run together and became simply a blimp.
I first read this about forty years ago. I always did love the histories of flight and automobiles. I also love etymology.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:41 am:

I'm sitting here trying to decide whether my leg is being pulled or not....:-) I suppose I could look it up......:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:04 pm:

So the Zepplin is hidden behind that non-rigid dirigible?

Chris, I'm with you, I love the old ones. You posted a photo of Alberto Santos-Dumont piloting his no. 9 in 1903 Paris! He used to land that in front of his apartment on the Champs-Elysees in 1903!

Here he is with the engine he invented for his No. 1 in 1898:

Santos-Dumont_No.1

My favorite is the No.6... really pretty. It had an internal keel which kept the cigar shape, but I don't think that would classify it as a rigid! Here it is in 1901:

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:47 pm:

Some history about the Zeppelins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelins.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Adams on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:08 pm:

Some history about the Zeppelins
Zeppelins started in the 1890s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeppelins.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison_Rice Minnesota on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:21 pm:

Oh, now I see it. Boy, that's pretty well hidden. It's like the Hindenburg, one day it was there, then poof, it was gone!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration