1914 parts/accessories

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: 1914 parts/accessories
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:13 am:

Can someone shed some light on the various items on the dash of this 1914 Touring? I know the clock is an accessory, as is the large switch to the right of the coil box. What would the switch be for? Also, is this the correct coil box lid and speedometer for that year car? Lastly, what kind of accessory shock is on the front?

(Message edited by admin on March 04, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:24 am:

Looks like a light dimmer.

Also, note the small light switch next to the coil box.

Headlights have probably been electrified.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Severn - SE Texas on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 11:29 am:

Coil box and lid are later than 1916. 14 coil box should have flat lid.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 07:05 pm:

Hi Bill,

I took a look at the speedometer setup. It looks like there may have been some replacement parts over the years. The speedometer head is the correct Stewart style but it should be a #100 which has a silver colored faceplate. In regard to the drive components, the large wheel gear looks correct but the mount for the swivel is later (mount is on front of spindle and has later arm to hold the swivel). The mount/swivel should be behind the spindle and consist of a tie rod arm that has a hole that an "L" shaped arm fits to. The upper end of the "L" arm has a double ended clamp that attaches to the arm and also the swivel.

It is a possible that this car came without any speedometer setup in later 1914 when Ford discontinued them due to unavailable supplies. Someone could have added the speedometer setup later, say 1916 on. This would account for the difference in components and the black faced speedometer head. A plain tie rod end without the hole would have been supplied. I suspect this is the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Richard Bennett on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 12:19 am:

Dennis, my tourer has the same drive mounting. The tie rod arm is standard Ford issue. The Ford castellated nut is replaced with a special nut with a round extension to the front, onto which the mounting arm is clamped. This special nut has a hole drilled through it so you can still insert a split pin.

Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 02:33 am:

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the input. Are you referring to your 1924 tourer? If so I'm sure your setup would be correct. I'm not familiar with the Australian or Canadian cars. In regard to the US production in 1914 the factory installed speedometer was discontinued part way through the year and a discount was allowed on the purchase price of the car. The factory installed 1914 speedometer system was as I stated above: silver faceplate #100 head and the drive attached behind the spindle in the Ford supplied tie rod arm with the hole. If the car didn't come with a factory installed speedometer than a plain tie rod was used on both sides. The set up on the pictured car is what Stewart would have supplied aftermarket when there was no way to use the other mount parts because of no tie rod arm mounting hole. It could have been either dealer or owner installed. It's not incorrect just not installed by the factory.

I also have a front mount as you have on my 1919 roadster. Again in 1919 no speedometer package was installed by Ford at the factory. My installation was made by a dealer or owner.

The US 1914 system has been shown on many original 1914 pictures, in the Ford 1914-15 parts books and documented by Russ Furstnow in his history of the T speedometer set ups.

I would like to learn more about the Australian and Canadian cars. Thanks again for your comments about your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 05:43 am:

Dennis

The car still has the mounting hole in the tie rod, but since the car was built in April of 1914 it would not have had the speedometer installed at the factory. I think, Ford being Ford, they used up all the tie rods with holes even though no speedometers were being put on. Like you said, I suspect the speedometer was added on later. Why they decided to use the later style gears I don't know, but the wheels are all demountable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 07:55 am:

Did you buy it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 08:01 am:

Made an offer and waiting for the answer! The car was in a Ford dealership for over forty years as a display, then was bought in 1985. Not much was done to it, and it wasn't driven much by the little wear on the pedals. It hasn't run in ten years but the motor is free. The rear axle housing rivets are loose and it leaks oil, but there is a spare axle housing that comes with the car. I will try to post some photos later if I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 09:08 am:

Here are some recent pictures of the 1914 I am interested in buying.

(Message edited by admin on March 05, 2014)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 09:22 am:

Nice car

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:37 pm:

Bill,

Nice find. If you don't have room to store it, I can put it up at my place for however long needed. I'll even buy my own gas!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 03:59 pm:

Bill E,
I have my fingers and toes crossed!!!!!
Good luck!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:41 pm:

The front shocks are Float-A-Fords accy item

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 11:57 pm:

John,These are Float-A-Fords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:56 am:

Maybe a later variation of "cushion-coil" brand shocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 10:10 am:

Jay you are correct my eyes played tricks

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration