Installing New Wood in Top Bows

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2014: Installing New Wood in Top Bows
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:30 pm:

I will be installing a new top soon on a 1914 Touring. I have new wood bows and need help on fitting the wood to the metal sockets. I have tried to find a previous thread where someone explained the process they used but my searches did not produce any results. I assume that I put in words that are too generic or did not use the correct words in the search. Could someone provide a link to this previous thread?

I know that the new bows need to be shaped to fit the shape and taper of the sockets. None of sockets are the same shape and several also need repairs. Is the shape an oval shape similar to an egg shape or is it more like a rectangle with rounded corners? Is it like the lower portion of the sockets? Does anyone have a cross section diagram of the open end of the socket?

Any help would be appreciated.

I also posted a request for a full or partial set on the Classifieds if anyone has these.

Thanks,
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 03:58 pm:

I am trying to find a post I put up a few years ago when I did my 1911 but am getting an error on my search. If you pm me a phone number I'll give you a call to discuss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:06 pm:

A search on Google for "gary london top bow mtfca" revealed this thread:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/49876.html?1205772092

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, March 04, 2014 - 04:17 pm:

Thank you Mark, that's the one I was looking for!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:20 am:

I copied the message below from a previous post http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/244956.html?1320526950 and need to clarify 3 things:
1. Are the dimensions for top bows the same for 1913 and 1914? There seemed to be some question in that post.
2. Are the measurements given below measured from the top of each socket to the inside of the top bow or the outside (upper side) of the top bow? The measurement for the width stated "inside". I need to confirm these before I cut my bows.
3. Is #1 the front bow and #4 the rear?

Dan Treace and others - Please clarify so I don't make a mistake in cutting the bows too short. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------
1913 Touring - top bow dimensions please.
By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:00 am:
David

Info from club magazine tech letter:

1913 touring bows
cross section 1" x 1 5/8"
all bows measure inside 53" width
Height of bows measured from end of socket to top of bow:
#1 6 3/4"
#2 6 1/2"
#3 9"
#4 7"

By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 04:14 pm:
The magazine tech letter I posted above was for 1913, reading another letter in another issue and found for the 1914 the same dimensions stated, except the bow #'s were swapped, i.e. #1 bow was given as 7" ? Don't know if error or if the front bow is #1 or the rear bow is #1 as stated by the tech letter author....I don't know either! .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, March 07, 2014 - 10:00 am:

Pay attention to the rear bow for your '14 touring. It is a different shape than the three front ones, and has an additional piece of wood tacked on as well.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration